This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A steering parts?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rockguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34681
Tractors Owned: Farmall Super A-2
1948 Jaques mighty mite

Super A steering parts?

Postby Rockguy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:41 am

Well I finally pulled apart my front end to do exploratory surgery on the steering box, the gears are fine but the only trace of the upper bearing is the race. I am amazes how easily a 55 year old tractor comes apart I had expected it to give me a hard time but it came apart with very little effort. Anyway my question is is there a source for getting a new bearing and seal for these? or am I on an exhaustive hunt for good used parts?.
Thanks Steve

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:06 pm

The upper bearing, lower bushing and seal are all available from CaseIH. NAPA has the bearing and seal. (Messick shows less $ for the bearing than NAPA). If the shaft is bad, you may have a bigger problem on availability, I didn't check.

Rockguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 Jaques mighty mite

Postby Rockguy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks Jim, My shaft is fine but I did find that Steiner carries the shaft and the steering gear a little spendy but they are available. I also have a parts Super A but I suspect the same problem with that steering.
Can NAPPA cross the part number from my parts book?
Thanks again
Steve

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Rockguy wrote:Can NAPPA cross the part number from my parts book?
Yes, I just used IH numbers to look on the NAPA web site. They were a couple bucks cheaper on the seal but higher on the bearing. CaseIH should have the gasket as well.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:27 pm

If that shaft is pitted it will leak oil out the bottom of the steering box. Check where the lower seal rides carefully.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm

I bought a kit from someone one ebay dont rember who will look 65.00 had all the bearings and the seals and gaskets
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Daniel H. wrote:If that shaft is pitted it will leak oil out the bottom of the steering box. Check where the lower seal rides carefully.

Daniel

The shaft will probably leak anyway, even if it's brand new. When you get it back together, pump it full of grease, not gear oil.

Last time I checked you could get all the internals for the steering gear box from caseIH but it is SPENDY---will make Steiner's look cheap on the shaft and gear. If the gear is moving on the shaft, you can weld it up--sounds sloppy but it's effective. Also a good machine shop may be able to fix these parts cheaper than buying new.

You can spend $1000 on the steering gear alone real quick! :shock:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rockguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 Jaques mighty mite

Postby Rockguy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks for all of your responses I ordered everything I need from Messicks $57.00 plus shipping(not to bad) and its already been shipped. As far as the seal leaking at the shaft I am going to fill the steering box with a mixture of 90 weight and grease this is a mix I use in my 1965 cj-5 with closed knuckles( also called knuckle pudding) This works very well in this kind of situation. When I get all the parts I'll see how much play there is in the sector gear and if it appears to be to much I will go ahead and weld it seems like it should work fine.
Steve

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”