This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Finally I got Her Running!!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Finally I got Her Running!!!!

Postby Peter Reynolds » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:09 am

Well, after three years, I have managed to piece my Farmall Cub back together and get it running!!! It took new rings, a valve job, carb rebuild and tuneup to get it purring again. That was the easy part, but remembering where everything belonged after three years wasn't! Last sunday with my family and grandparents watching, I crossed my fingers as I pulled on the starter lever, needless to say, I was as suprised as they were when it caught and ran less with less than 10 seconds on the starter. It just purred like a kitten. I tell ya, I was pretty amazed that it fired right up, I thought I would have to be fiddling with it all day, but I guess if you follow the directions in those servive manuals closely, then it should do just fine. It took a good 10-15 seconds to build oil pressure, and then I knew it was going to be okay. I took it out for a drive with my younger brother standing on the drawbar - he just couldn't believe it either! We had never heard the engine run before and it was just a great sound, especially since it doesn't have a muffler yet! I drove it right down to the fella's house that I got it from, and he was just completley suprised!! He had left that tractor for dead 12 years ago, and given up on my attempt to get it running again. Well, I must have worked on that tractor for 12 hourse straight on that Sunday getting it running, I forgot all about eating and time, it was quite amazing.
I am just ready to get back down there this weekend and fiddle with it some more. I still need to install the charging system and hydraulic system. Now that it's running, my attenion has shifted to other things it's going to need like some steering work - it's quite sloppy.. I have to admit I was a little afraid of cruising in 3rd gear because of how shaky the steering is. I could have never done this without you guys and I the atis board, I have learned so much about myself through this experience and what I can do when I put my mind to it. I have scanned pictures of the project to hp photo, but I am not sure how to share the album I have created, I know someone will help me figure it out. The tractor is still rough, but the enigne is done, so this summer maybe I will get around to painting this old thing. I hope we can figure out how to post my pics. Thanks again gentlemen for all your help and guidance, that tractor would still be in a million pieces if it wasn't for all of you.

Cheers!
Peter Reynolds
(Farmall Cub Kid)
1949 Farmall Cub IS RUNNING!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:18 am

Congratulations on a job well done!

BTW, HP photo is going to stop linking photos.
Last edited by Lurker Carl on Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:20 am

Peter,

I'm sure everyone on here knows exactly how you feel. It is great isn't it?
I have a '49 myself and it's a nice little tractor for sure. My '67 Loboy is in pieces and probably won't hear the engine again for at least another year.
You will enjoy getting at the rest of it now, take your time, and do a good job.
Just Do It !

Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter Reynolds » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:40 am

Try this link.... this should show a picture of me on the tractor after I first got it running.. Sorry about the quality of the photo, but we were using a cheap disposable camera.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhot ... f179&size=

Here is another one of the engine before I started the tearing it down. Several valves were stuck and there was a lot of rust in the cylinders.. It wouldn't have been much longer before it would have rusted tight.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhot ... 748b&size=

Here is one more picture of the engine on the magneto side...

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhot ... 1631&size=

I am going to get a better camera to take the more pictures with soon, so there will be better ones soon...

Peter

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:07 am

Peter,

That grin says it all! The picture is clear enough to show your Thumbs up. Image

Well done... we knew you could do it.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:50 pm

:) :P Peter, That is a great heart warming story that you posted about your Cub success. Glad to hear that all went well with your first attempt at engine start-up. :P
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”