This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub purchase decision

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
txrocky
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub purchase decision

Postby txrocky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:28 am

New member just joined today and need advice from all you veteran cub owners. A local farmer advertised 2 Cubs for sale, both with Woods belly mowers and both in good condition. One is a 49 model, the other a 72.
The seller says to take your pick, both the same price. HELP. which one do i choose? He is only selling one of them. 49 is 6volt with magneto, the 72 is 12 volt with a distributor. Would appreciate your input.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:08 pm

Well maybe I can muddy the waters some. I would purchase the 72 mostly cause I already have a 48 and a 51 :lol:

But, it all depends on what you prefer.. do you like the idea of owning an older Cub? or do you want a newer one. Either is a good choice. Depends on preference. There is a lot more of the older Cubs out there for parts as compared to the 70's, but I like the square nose as well.

Other consideration -- which has the better mower? Is one a fast hitch or are they both regular Cubs?

Also, there is probably more implements for the regualar Cub than there is Fast Hitch equipment, and also they cost less than Fast Hitch stuff.

I think it all boils down to which one you prefer or which one really GRABS YA :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:09 pm

Like Rudi, I already have 2 olser cubs (28 and 49) so if the conditions are comparable, I personally would buy the 72. Besides being newer, there were only about 12,000 of the 72 models produced compared to over 41,000 of the 49s made.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:16 pm

Also, if you haven't already done so go to the Cub FAQ at http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html and read the section on what to look for when buying a cub.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:18 pm

Well, that's a tough one! I guess it depends on whether you'd like a classic style 49 antique or the more modern version. From a practical standpoint, if you are going to work the tractor, the later model might be your best bet. The 12 volt electrical system will be easier and cheaper to maintain. On the other hand, if you want a big boy's toy to restore and parade with, the 49 would be the choice.
I think you will find that both tractors are built equally well and quite serviceable. In fact, mechanically, they are very nearly the same tractor.
If you take a look at the items listed on the cub FAQ's (just click on the link below) It will give you a list of things to look for when purchasing a cub. Print out the list, use it to inspect both tractors. You may find one better than the other when using this guide.

http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q10

Good luck, and you're at the right place if you need information about your cub. Come back and visit us often. We're a lot like a big family and sometimes we're even helpful! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

txrocky
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub purchase decision

Postby txrocky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:54 pm

You guys have been really helpful with some solid advice. I intend to use the cub to cut a creek behind my property. not much hard work involved and no there are no fast hitches on the 72. both belly mowers are the same make and model Woods and conditions are comparable.
Once more I thank y'all and am sure I will be back seeking help.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:13 pm

Why not BOTH?????

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:30 pm

Donny M wrote:Why not BOTH?????

:-:-): One is a 49 model, the other a 72.
The seller says to take your pick, both the same price. HELP. which one do i choose? {He is only selling one of them.} :-:-):
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:02 pm

JB,

I beg to differ:

txrocky wrote:
A local farmer advertised 2 Cubs for sale, both with Woods belly mowers and both in good condition. One is a 49 model, the other a 72.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:16 pm

One thing none of us have mentioned, the 72 will have more power.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:37 pm

Oh am I gonna enjoy pullin this chain :shock: :lol:

The seller says to take your pick, both the same price. HELP. which one do i choose? He is only selling one of them.

Jeez, I really like it when y'all make it soooooooooooo easy :lol: :{_}: :-:-):

Just like shootin fish in a barrel :censored: :{_}:

Sorry Donny ole chum, I just couldn't resist this one.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:00 pm

Ok Rudi,

You got me :!: :cry: :cry: I should have read the post a little more thoroughly.
It's not my fault, I blame it on the Hellen Keller Speed Reading Course. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have been OK if the post wasn't a contradiction.

Chain yanked very well. :wink: :wink:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Donny:

I was waiting for someone to pick up on it, waited alllllll dayyyy :D :roll: , finally couldn't wait anymore, had to do it :roll: :cry: :wink:

Sorry buddy, but it was too good to pass up :{_}: :{_}: :lol:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:24 pm

That's quite all right, Rudi. I'm sure you'll get plenty more chances. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:00 am

TXROCKY,

What a decision, being new to Cubs myself too. I didn't have that question before me. My 55 Cob LoBoy was FREE for the taking and there was only one, LOL

I myself like nostalgia, I'd take the 49 model. I have a new Silverado, but I drive my 54 Chevrolet 1 ton truck more, there's something about that older technology, (at least I can work on them) The Cubs seem to be basically the same over the years, with maybe a few improvements.

The 12 volt system is nice for brighter lights, but with me I have more things that run on 6 volts, than I have that run on 12 votls.

Stop to think of it, I have not noticed really noticed any topics on people converting the 6 volts Cubs over to 12 volts, UNLIKE the discussions on the 8N Ford forum. There is always topics to convert them over to 12 volts, all the pros and cons. The 6 volts system will start just fine. My 1948 8N Ford starts excellent at 20 below zero, heck of a lot better than I do.

Maybe what you need to do is toss a coin. I am sure either one of these little Cubs would do you a fine job. After getting mine, I am really surprised on how many of these little devils still being used. I have been seeing several doing a great job.

Matter of fact I am even tossing the idea around once I get mine 55 all restored of selling my John Deere 318. I don't know yet, that power steering and hydrastate really has me spoiled.

Just my 2 cents worth,

John N

Return to “Farmall Cub”