This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1956 International 350

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

1956 International 350

Postby Yogie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Can anyone tell me just how much of the inside of the trans can be seen by removing the cover under the seat?
The tractor moves in neutral, pto works ok but somethings locked in the trans. I'm pretty sure by the way it sounded that I've welded a bearing up :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:17 pm

You can pretty well see the entire transmission after the cover is off, but you will need a hoist, it is very heavy, and between bolts and dowels contributes to the structural strength of the tranny. I would suspect that rather than a bad bearing you may have a shifter problem that is letting it go into 2 gears at once.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:05 pm

As a preliminary measure you could pull out the PTO. Its pretty easy to do and leaves a nice large hole from which to inspect.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:44 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:You can pretty well see the entire transmission after the cover is off, but you will need a hoist, it is very heavy, and between bolts and dowels contributes to the structural strength of the tranny. I would suspect that rather than a bad bearing you may have a shifter problem that is letting it go into 2 gears at once.

I was mowing when it happened and wasn't shifting at the time. She just started making a loud noise under the seat and bogging down. I made it in the barn and after stopping she's stuck! If it's a major job removing the cover I'll need to wait until spring when I can move it to a better location.
Thanks

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:You can pretty well see the entire transmission after the cover is off, but you will need a hoist, it is very heavy, and between bolts and dowels contributes to the structural strength of the tranny. I would suspect that rather than a bad bearing you may have a shifter problem that is letting it go into 2 gears at once.

I think you may be right John :D I made it out to the farm today to take a quick look at the 350. You were right about the plate under the seat, it's real big :shock: I jumped on and started it up once again and tried the pto, it's ok. I then tried it in reverse, when I let the clutch out the motor labors and she won't move. I then went to neutral, let out on the clutch and the tractor moved forward in what feels like 2nd gear...
This seems strange to me because I wasn't shifting at the time it happened, I asked dad about it and he said it did it once on him about 20 years ago while brushhoging but it's been to long for him to remember what he did to fix it.
I've had Massy's do this and the cure was removing the plate where the shifter is and getting things back in line. Is this made the same way, I didn't take the time today to look and see if there's a plate with the shifter that can be removed....Can anybody help me out on this?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm

I have never looked at a 350 with the intentions of working on the tranny, so I can't answer your question. On the H (predecessor of Super H, then 350), however, the shift tower was cast into top of tranny, and it was necessary to remove the entire cover.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:44 am

No luck guys, my last day of vacation and I tried to bow hunt some but no rest came... Tractors on my mind :?
I drove to the farm where I removed the 6 bolt shifting cover. Not much in there, everything was in neutral and there's some springs pushing down on ball bearings to keep the shifting sliders in place. After bolting back up I started it and rocked it in the second gear that works in the neutral position. A little bit of that and I could get it in all the gears, I then started to back it out of the barn and after about 20 ft. the noise was back and it was in two gears again. I went back to neutral(2nd) and pulled it back in the barn.... Tops going to need to come off for this job :(
I have no daylight hours since the time change so it will be spring.
I'm glad she's inside for the winter....

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”