This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Compact Tractor?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Compact Tractor?

Postby Michael Az » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:41 pm

Do any of you folks have one of the small diesel compact tractors around 20 hp? I have been thinking about buying one as I need a front end loader. The old Fords and Cubs just don't fill the bill. Anyway I haven't bought a tractor for a long time.
Michael

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Compact tractor

Postby Tim-Devery » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:56 pm

I picked up a John Deere 855 4x4 Hydrostatic diesel around two years ago. It came with a front end loaded, deck mower, back hoe, post hole digger, stone rake, rear blade, pto wood chipper. I paid $2500 for it. :shock: (Estate sale, knew the son). I don't think you will find this tractor alone for less than $4000.
But I still love to putt around on my 57 lo-boy, with 42" woods mower.

The newer JD tractor have been out a couple of years, so the old ones will be getting cheaper

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:17 pm

Michael
I have a Kubota BX2200 with a loader. 22hp - diesel. I have a box blade for counter weight and doing dirt work.

The thing is great. I used to have a 8N with loader but this thing will out work the "N" without break'n a sweat.

They are great little machines, spendy to purchase. But should last for years and years.

I still love the old Iron, but if I need to get some work done and time is short, I'm on the "KUB" and keep the CUB for fun!

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:23 pm

Mike,

I agree with the other guys. I have a '50 Cub and a '50 AC Model B that I love to use when I have plenty of time to have fun, but when I really need to get work done, I jump on my little 16 hp diesel, 4X4, HST, Kubota B7100. It is so much more maneuverable for what I do around my little farm that there is just no comparison.

If you can swing one, I don't think that you will ever be disappointed. But, I would recommend that you try out the various transmission types because for loader work, I don't think that you can beat the HST. They are extremely dependable and easy to operate.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply's fellows. tdevery, Sounds like you got the deal of a lifetime, what a price! The John Deere is a great tractor but I won't even hope to find one at your price.
Shopp'n Cubs, I have read nothing but good things about the BX 22. They are pricy though like you mentioned. I will be looking for a used one, but it is sure a bad time of the year to buy a used tractor. Its bad enough that Bigdog is buying up all the old tractors but now it is spring and everybody is buying! I will soon be going cross country on a trip and should see several dealers.
Rick ('50, NC), I can see where the HST transmission would sure be nice with the loader. I have never operated a HST tranny but I believe they work the same as my forklift. Only use the clutch once to get going and there after just shift without the clutch. I haven't run a shuttle option either, and I think they will reverse direction without using the clutch. It sure is complicated anymore trying to learn all the differences in what is available in tractors! Thanks again fellows, the info helps!
Michael

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:54 am

i have a new holland 25D 25 hp diesel loader, 7500 woods backhoe and 6 foot landscape rake. bought it a year old for 17K a couple years back. hydo drive is terrific on this one with a single rocker pedal on the right. did not like to green ones i was looking at - reverse was a separate pedal way off to the right of the forward. i really couldn't reach it comfortably from the seat.
course, from what i've heard, just paint the new holland red and you've got a NEW Farmall!
ONLY problem with hydro's is you cannot split brake when back blading to drag the front end around. one reason is because the pedals are on the same side, but even if you engage the cruise control, the brake kicks it out. have to do some disconnecting of safety stuff to get it to work.
all in all, the tractor has done everything i asked of it willingly. 1000 hours now, just routine service and a couple hydraulic hose failures. one, i wacked a fitting on the backhoe and was rewarded with an oil shower!
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22
‘19 Kubota L6060
Circle of Safety: Y

Compact Tractor

Postby Worksmart » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Michael - I have a 22hp Kubota BX22. It comes with both the loader and backhoe. I added a 60" mid mount mower. Have about 135 hrs on it. I have absolutely nothing but good to say about it. You should try http://www.tractorbynet.com for more info. You will find a great group of guys/gals over there. My 2 cubs still see some action but the Kub is a whole new ballgame. Chuck
Worksmart not hard!!

Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:01 pm

Mike,

If, on your trip across the country, you find yourself in Dunn, NC, stop by to see Steve Carver at Carver Equipment. He has about the best prices on Kubotas that I have found. Since he turns over a lot of equipment, he always seems to have a good selection of used and returned rentals.

We compact tractor owners are about as loyal to our color as we Cub guys are, but if you get a good one of any color and take care of it, the tractor will be around and working hard until you are sick of looking at it. One of my neighbors asked me the other day if I thought my Kubota would be working as well in 54 years as my Cub is today. I told him that probably not, but it will still be working long after I am gone. Then it is my son's problem to get fixed.

Good luck in your search.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:16 pm

Michael,

I bought a like-new Ford 1520 (23 hp engine. 20 hp pto) with 338 hours on it about 6 years ago. I now have about twice that number of hours on it. It has been totally trouble-free and a joy to use.

Alan

Chad NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27587
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1969 CC125
1970 Gravely CI
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Chad NC » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:26 pm

Here's one more "I agree" post.

Bought a 1990 855 JD last year with the front loader and love it. The hydro trans is very easy to operate even with the seperate foot pedals. :wink: JD also has turning brakes on the left hand side which are handy.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the big lines. My Dad has a 'bota and loves it and I have coworkers with Masseys and Fords.
FWIW,
Chad

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvbarkley » Sat May 01, 2004 6:44 am

Have a Yanmar 240 (24 HP 2 wheel drive) with loader I bought a couple of years ago and am very satisfied. Thought I wanted a 4 wheel drive but all were a little scarace and pricy. With weight on rear have had no problem getting around, (found I don't really need 4WD after all !). The 240 is a made for sale in America model. Have heard some negative comments on the "grey" market units and some of the dealers so would be cautious. Love my Cub and John Deer MC but use the Yanmar a lot more.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sat May 01, 2004 10:19 am

Thanks for all the reply's fellows. Sounds like everybody is pleased with their's. I have done a lot of reading at tractorsbynet. So many good models out there I think I will have to buy the one I find that seems like the good deal. I do think I will stay with the ones made in Japan and stay away from the Russian, Chinese and Indian. The Japanese do have techlology and quality. A lot of them are nice looking tractors, but none of them have the "Classic" looks of our old Cubs.
Thanks again fellows
Michael

Return to “Farmall Cub”