This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brain on Overdrive?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Brain on Overdrive?

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:32 pm

George, Jim, JB et al:

My mind has been on overdrive again. :oops: Yeah, I know, that could be very dangerous :oops: :lol:

I am fast becoming a convert to electolysis, what a wonderful process. I have 4 old and crappy front rims that I am cleaning up to paint for the spray wagon project.

Works real good, and I am really impressed.

But I was wondering :idea: I really don't want to have to buy another battery charger, and I don't want to burn this one out. :roll: I have the rest of the rims, the horse hoe, all of Jethro to do, the 189 to do, 193 to do, 144 to do, and then we can't foget Ellie. Sooooo, I was wondering --- :oops: :roll: :oops:

Can/would it be possible to use an AC step down transformer and go from 110 volts to say 10, 15, 20 or so, with about 10, 15 or 20 amps???

Would this be effective. Would it produce the same as the DC chargers would?

Also, I want to go to two tanks. Right now I have Gordon's and I am going to make mine very shortly..... sooo an AC alternative would decidedly be advantageous.

Thoughts? I am really lousy with electricity so I needs some real pro's advice, and you guys on the forum are it :D If this is really a stooopid idea, don't be afraid to say so... I do not want to electrocute meeself :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Rudi,

You can't use AC in electrolysis. You need to rectify it first (AC to DC). In order for electrolysis to work you need two different polarities.
You could get high current diodes and make one but the charger is most likley cheapest.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:55 pm

Rudi,

Electrolysis will only work on D.C. It's possible to make up a rectifier, but to do so and reduce the voltage and also add safety equipment make the second battery charger look like a good option.

You really do need a second one anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:56 pm

Donny:

That is what was tickling at the back of my head, but I figured I better ask anyways.

And I think you are right about cost. I enquired about a DC inverter and it is well out of my budget....

George:

you are probably right. besides, the power bill is going to be almost un-noticeable. boy does the meter ever turn slowly when the charger is the only draw off the panel!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:19 pm

Rudi, you could use an electric moter driving a generator, but the operating cost would be more than the expense of buying and running the battery charger.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:44 pm

Yup:

I knew it was a stooopid question :?

Well nuff of that! On to bigger and better things.

Return to “Farmall Cub”