This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A , bucking clutch

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Super A , bucking clutch

Postby countershaft » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:53 pm

My SA bucks like a bronco in the reverse gear no matter how much you slip the clutch. It's alright in the forward gears , but I can't hardly stay on the seat when backing up. Whats wrong ? Is it the throw out bearing , the pressure plate or an adjustment ? Any suggestions appreciated, before I tear the thing down.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Super-A

Postby Dan England » Sun May 02, 2004 10:25 am

I sometimes experience similar problems, although not to a great extent. In addition, I sometimes have to shut down the motor to shift because of the gears grinding during the operation. It often shifts nicely with no grinding. Any advice on these problems? Thanks, Dan

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Sat May 29, 2004 8:12 pm

When you push in the clutch on a Super A, the input shaft to the transmission "freewheels" a little while. I have found that by pushing in the clutch and waiting a few seconds before trying to shift, that it will slip into gear. These transmissions were designed long before "shift on the fly".
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:48 am

A little late on the response, but bucking in reverse is often a function of the operator, not any problem with the tractor. BTDT. The reverse gears on these tractors are quite fast, and it takes a steady foot to smoothly release the clutch.

The problem in reverse is inertia. When the tractor starts moving backwards, you don't. Instead, you slide toward the front of the tractor, pushing the clutch back in. The tractor stops, you slide back, and release the clutch.

You need a firm grip on the steering wheel to keep from sliding ahead.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:11 am

Try letting out the clutch at the lowest RPM that it can handle. After it is completely engaged keep your foot off the clutch pedal and add the RPM`s needed. It could be its nature OR it may need the pressure-plate and/or flywheel surfaces trued up. My little Geo-Metro does that also but I think the reason is because reverse is geared so high.

WOW!!, I just noticed this was originally posted on April 30th so I imagine the cause has been found out by now.
Then came Bronson

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Bucking Clutch

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:05 pm

Johnbron: My SA is not running at this time so I haven't been able to check on this problem. Thanks to you and others who have responded. Your advice may solve the clutch problem once the starting problem is corrected. Dan

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”