This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

well water

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:46 pm

technova wrote:Anyone know what the air pressure is supposed to be?
It is a maroon tank from Menard's don't remember the brand
or required pressure. I'm at work, can get the brand tonite if necessary.
It's the cold water so the heater is not compounding the problem if it's trapped air.

About 35 lbs of air in the tank
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lyle7289
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lyle7289 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Eugene wrote:Pump in the well sucking air?

My thought too...

I know this post is old but I thought I would add my thoughts....
There has to be air getting in somewhere. Even with the pressure in the bladder at nothing the system should not spit at you. If your air pressure is low in the bladder the pump will kick on seconds after turning on the water in the house.

There are several causes to your system spitting. Intermittent "spitting" rules out several things such as a crack in the poly hose, air leak in your system, etc. The reason I say this is that if you had a small air leak, it would spit regularly (depending on frequent use). If it sat for a long while, and the air leak was past the check valve, you would lose prime.

My best guess without looking at your well and pump would be that there is air at your well point depending on the depth of you well and the age. How old is your well? Water levels change drastically and it sounds as if you are sucking small amount of air from time to time.

Just my 2 cents.
Lyle
Shoot straight and may your arrows fly true!

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Do you have a filter system? Filter needs changing or filter that you just replaced is the wrong one and is restricting the flow of water.

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

methane or sulphur smell?

Postby flyawa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:25 am

We lived for a time at a place that had some dissolved methane and sulphur gas in the water. After sitting in the system for some time it would spit gas when the tap was turned on. The water was filtered and tasted and smelled OK. Apparently the gas came out of solution and came to the top of the system.

Don't know if the pressure tank issue took care of your problem. We put a "T" in the line with about a 2 foot vertical pipe and schrader valve to occasionally vent the gas and that took care of it.
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: well water

Postby Merlin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Sounds like a air intake leak before it reaches the pump. Drain the tank, put 20 lbs of air in the bladder. Go inside and turn on all the highest faucets, like shower, sinks etc.. If you have a pump that needs priming (mine don't, I have a flow well) turn the pump on, prime it until the water squirts everywhere and put the plug back in good and tight. Go inside and wait until all the faucets stop spitting air, turn off the lowest ones first until they are all off. If it still spits air, you have a leak "before" the water reaches the pump, of a busted bladder. As a point of information, I have a 5 gallon tank that takes care of all my water needs. As stated before though, I have a flow well that runs through my pump continuously unless I turn it off to service the pump.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I was in error in my first post,just found the book for my air tank [Well Trol ] directions say to pressurize the tank to within 2 pounds of you cut-in pressure setting. So, if your cut in is 20 lbs, the air pressure should be 18. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 am

anchova,

Not sure if you're still in need of a solution, but I just found this thread and completely agree that it sounds like air is getting into your line after the pump but before the tank. I just had this same problem with the same symptoms.

I had to pull the pump. We found that there were 2 different plastic connectors that were used. One connected the pump to the black plastic line. The other connected the black plastic line to a type of valve near the very top that is used to lower the water level in cold climates to reduce freezing.

Both of these were cracked. I replaced these, put the pump and line back in, and it solved the problem.

Best,
Blair
Last edited by Bigschuss on Thu May 01, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 am

I guess I'm lucky.I bought my house without testing the well.I do know a little about well water.The house did not have a filter of any kind or a softener.The water is soft enough,no need.I did put a filter [whole house]in the system.I clorinaded[?] the well a couple of weeks ago.5 to 1 is the ratio.IE 1 gallon of bleach,5 gallons of water.Took a 5 weeks and 2 filters.The water is real good now.I'm not cleaning the toliet hardly at all.Would rust stain in 3 days before.I hope this helps somebody out.Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Sat May 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't think the chlorine did anything to keep the rust out of the toilet. The filter must be doing that. Iron in the water will cause this. A water softener is the treatment unless it is real bad.

What you did with the chlorine was kill the bacteria in the system. Should be done every so often with a well.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 pm

schmibm wrote:I don't think the chlorine did anything to keep the rust out of the toilet. The filter must be doing that. Iron in the water will cause this. A water softener is the treatment unless it is real bad.

What you did with the chlorine was kill the bacteria in the system. Should be done every so often with a well.

Chlorine is definitely a cure, or at least a help for rust in the toilet. It is even part of an advanced iron mitigating system to precipitate it out to be removed by a potassium permanganate filter. Chlorinating the well with chlorine bleach definitely helps eliminate rust stains.

Iron that has precipitated out of solution is harmful to the softener and should be avoided if possible. It coats the Zeolite and hinders the ion exchange. As I recall the upper limit for iron a softener can safely handle is one PPM.

You're on the right track, Kevin. 8)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Wow, I learned something today. Thanks George. Maybe I had best be chlorinating my well soon too.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”