This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO LEVER

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO LEVER

Postby LYNYRD » Mon May 03, 2004 2:09 pm

Having trouble engaging pto, I had to loosened up the pto shaft lever guide to get in pto engaged. All help appreciated....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 03, 2004 2:59 pm

There are 2 or 3 possibilities that come to mind right away. One is that the splines on the sliding collar or on the transmission shaft or worn off on the end, another is that the pin that moves the sliding collar is nealry worn off and isn't pushing the collar far enough. Might also make sure the shift lever with the little spring on it isn't bent. Some of the very early ones had a problem that the spline on the transmission shaft or in the collar (not sure which) were not long enough from the factory. The fix for that was either replace the defective part or take the quadrant (lever guide) off and use a round file to make slots in the bolt and guide pin hole so the quadrant could be moved further back. My 48 has been running with the quadrant moved back for about 16 years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Peter S
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub
1963 cub

Postby Peter S » Mon May 03, 2004 8:37 pm

My 51 had the problem with the PTO not staying engaged. I ended up replacing the collar and repairing the internal lever. The new collar had at least 1/8" more engagment than the original. The lever needed to be repaired because the pin was almost completely worn off. I used the unthreaded prortion of a socket head cap screw and had it welded onto the lever. From that point on (3 years ago) everything was fine.
Peter

1951 Cub, 1963 Cub

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO ENGAGEMENT

Postby LARRY BALL » Tue May 04, 2004 11:35 am

I JUST BOUGHT AND INSTALLED A PTO SHAFT,BEARING,BUSHING,COLLAR,DETENT SHAFT AND LEVER ASSY. ALL PURCHASED FROM WENGERS AND WITH INSTRUCTIONS FROM THIS BOARD. PTO IS PERFECT AND SO-O-O-O EASY TO OPERATE NOW. DON'T FORGET TO USE 90 WT. IT MADE A "BIG" DIFFERENCE ALSO AS FAR AS GEAR NOISE.
LARRY 8) 8) 8)
LARRY BALL

Return to “Farmall Cub”