This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

International c-3 mower spindle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike D
10+ Years
10+ Years

International c-3 mower spindle

Postby Mike D » Sat May 08, 2004 7:31 pm

I am trying to rebuild one of the 3 spindles on a C-3 mower. The bottom bearing, closest to the blade, is frozen to the spindle. The little roller bearings are gone. All that is left is the collar that rides on the spindle. Any ideas on how to get this thing off the spindle? It is really stuck fast. And, the spindle is fairly scored, where the upper bearing rides on the spindle. If I can remove the lower bearing, I'm thinking that the spindle will also be scored/worn under that bearing. It looks like the spindle should be replaced. At what point should the spindle be replaced? Are they available?? I am thinking that I might be better off buying another deck. Thanks,

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm

Mike, If you have a torch or a welder you can heat the bearing and it may swell enough to come off the spindle. If you can clean the spindle up enough for the new bearings to go on, I wouldn't worry to much about the score lines. Worst case scenario, you might have to replace the entire spindle assembly. That would be cheaper than replacing the deck.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat May 08, 2004 7:56 pm

Mike:

First welcome to the forum and to the Cub Family :D

Your C-3 although made by Danco for IH, is supported still by CaseIH. See your dealer for the parts you need. Check the manual server at the link below and read the Owner's Manual for your C-3 Mower, it may offer some insights for you.

As for the removal process, well I must defer to those more experienced pro's who will definitely pop in and help out, but in the interim this should help a little. Spray a lot of Kroil, PB Blaster, Loctite Solvo-Rust or your favourite penetrating oil. This will help in the removal process.

Oh, if you know part numbers or one of the guys on the forum can give them to you, you can check out availablilty here: Case Tractor Parts On-Line

Hope this helps a little. And again, welcome :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sat May 08, 2004 8:39 pm

If you could find someone with a hydraulic press they could probably have that bearing race off in a few minutes. It is amazing how much easier a press makes jobs like this. I used to have access to one where I work, but they got rid of it. It wasn't long until I broke down and bought one for myself. It wasn't cheap, $250.00, but there is no substitute for one when you need it.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Bob Hawley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44882
Tractors Owned: !949 Farmall Cub

Postby Bob Hawley » Sun May 09, 2004 7:32 am

Mike, I had a similar problem earlier this year on a C1 deck. The guys on this forum got me thru it just fine. First thing I did was take several pictures with my digital camera, then I put them on my computer and printed them out. Next, I called the International dealer and asked about the mower deck. Then I took the pitures in to him and had to order the new parts. It ran a little over 75.00 for the parts. I did use emory cloth on the spindel and other parts to clean them up, I had marks and some deep scratches that I pretty much got rid of. It was an experience for a newbie, but Rudi's info, and the timely input from this forum really helped. If I can be of more help, let me know. I'm still very new to the Cub, but it is running very well and doing its thing. Good luck! Bob :)
Bob Hawley

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sun May 09, 2004 11:10 am

Mike,

I rebuilt my C-3 deck spindles last year and had the same (and more) troubles with disassembly. I don't have a welder or a torch...but I do have a Dremel tool! I used the abrasive "cut-off" type wheel and cut a groove into the bearing race as far as I could without going into the spindle and then split her the rest of the way with a chisel and they all came right off. If my memory serves me....there is no help from a press with the lower races. It bottoms out right there in no-man's land just off those oval castings the blades mount to. And...if you have the spindles out of the housings-the upper inner race is off already! Good luck with the deck. Don't forget new seals and star washers too. Belts and new blades are still available at Case/IH as well.

And last but not least-wear your safety glasses around all that torchin and a hammerin....my grandpa told me a hundred times....'you can chew with false teeth; and you can walk with a wooden leg...but you can't SEE with a glass eye ' !

Return to “Farmall Cub”