This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Heirloom Blue Hopi Corn

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Heirloom Blue Hopi Corn

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Here is our Blue corn experiment from this year!
these ears are close to being ready.
this a jar of blue flour that I ground with the little hand grinder that Virginia has.
That's me standin' in the 10 foot stalks!
and a close-up of some ears, shelled kernels, and a bag showing the blue corn chips (this is the corn they use to make these chips with.)

These stalks are the ones I chopped in the Cub Choppin vid ! you can see they do get tall, seem to stand a lot of wind for their size!
We saved some seed from "select" ears to plant for next year and are using the rest for home-ground flour, and for baby chick feed.

We also saved some contender green-beans, king of the garden pole lima beans,sugar baby, yellow tender-sweet , and crimson sweet watermelon , Minnesota midget muskmelon, large fruited cherry tomatoes, black-eye cow-peas, freezonia green peas. (there are a few other's that got saved,--but only for experimenting with)

We can and freeze a lot (mostly freeze since we have 3 deep freezers), but most of the tomato juice is canned. some is cooked down into a sauce. it takes up less space and is concentrated, so add some of it to a cheese pizza, (sister brought one and Virginia got the mato sauce out!), makes it really good!--Virginia maked a seasoning mix to put into tomato juice that make a good thing even better.
Oops!--sorry for the long post, but as you can see we do "live out of the garden" year round! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 pm

That blue corn is really something! Nice job with an unusual crop. Where did you get the original seed for the corn? I'm thinking of some blue corn muffins in my future!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:51 pm

That's really interesting corn. I put up a year's worth of sweet corn and green beans, but I'm still just getting started!! Enjoyed the pics (and the vid of the stalk-choppin')!! 8) 8)
Trent McPeak

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Sonny any chance of getting 20 or seeds? I will have my corn garden again next year. I am just getting over the flood damage from June 2006. Some logs blocked up the creek and where the garden was became a stone quarey.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:02 am

We got the pm's!--will get the seeds in the mail! thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:21 am

Neat corn!!!I do a lot of freezing also.I hope to can next year. :D :D Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:36 pm

That's some beautiful corn! Neato! I'd like to try that for next year. :D Thanks for the pics!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I grew it one year. I wasn't impressed with the flavor. Made pretty, blue muffins, but tasted bland, compared to some other varieties. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Painted Mountain

Postby Uncle Mike » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:43 pm

I tried Painted mountain this year. $4 a packet! Planted a couple of rows and saved the seed for next year. Very very pretty and the cows loved the culls and the stalks, but I have not had enought to actually try flour from it.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:41 pm

It can be used like regular corn meal or flour. they make the tortillas with it,--which have a texture and flavor of their own. I would think you could add some flavor of whatever you wanted.--we are in the experimenting stages right now, but it makes good cornbread, flatbread, and Virginia calls it "corn cake"!----still trying out other ideas as well!--thanks; sonny

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Very nice :D My Grandfather used to plant Strawberry Popcorn in his garden and pop it in the fall. It would be snow white when poped. I found some at the Harvest Moon Seed Co. online and I think they had the Blue Hopi corn and some others.

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”