This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Creepers

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Garden Creepers

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 am

I have been planning a garden creeper that is hydro-powered and on tracks.--I did get a little done on one track set-up,--grousers welded on and sprockets side ground to fit the chains.--still short some 1and1/8" bearings, but might have to substitute some bronze bushing castings instead.
this is the bike creeper that I have used for two years, and it works great!
this is one view of the track set-up on the bench
another view

this is a general idea what the tracks will look like, and all parts shown will be welded to heavy undercarriage irons, with a slack adjuster on one end to keep track chains tight! Not trying to bore you guy's, but this might give you an idea of how to do if you garden and have spinal problems as I do!--can't garden without these things! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 am

I"ll be.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:52 am

I had always heard that necessity was the mother of invention, but you take it to extremes. Well done!!!!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Great Idea!!!I can always tell when it is spring,cause my back is sprung.Kevin :? :?
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Hey Sonny, I sure like that bike crawler,,,,,could you send me some more pictures of it,,,,,I want to make one for me. Great job and I sure would like to have a pile of iron like you got there. :D :D
I can fix it,,,get me a bigger hammer.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:58 am

I will post some "close-ups" so you can get a really good idea of how I did mine, and you can add/change or modify the concept to fit your needs!--after two years of use it has served me well, so I didn't really want to change the design!--I forgot to add that it's also very light, the skinny tires only sink the depth of the rubber in dry soft ground and moving along is not a problem!--you can also sit up on this one and pick green beans and other crops in comfort or lay down for cutting spinach!

The steel track model is an idea I have been going thru in my mind and slowly getting parts "in the pile", and starting the "build" process!--NO plans to follow, just cut grind and weld!--course that's how I do all my equipment that I make from the full sized stuff! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Took these today!---If you have questions, just ask!
this is how I made the hand power drive, it's a ratchet action setup.
top view
ratchet view
steering setup
left side
right side showing drive chain/ratchet/and handle

This was the "quick build" design that I used. you may have a much better plan.--this has worked without flaw for two years now, for me. It will give you a starting point of how to make one of this design,--there are other styles out there, but I haven proven this one to be successful! thanks; sonny

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks for the pictures Sonny,,,, now my main winter project. You did a very good job,,,,,,this will be the solution to one of my playing in the garden problems. :D :D :D :D

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm

I've never seen anything like that! :shock:

I broke my L-1 lumbar vertebra in an auto accident 10 years ago and I can understand your pain. Me, I just scoot on my bottom. I wear out the seat of my pants, but it mostly works. :lol:

It's a good idea, but I think lighter may be better. Where do you put the tray with the plants?

You know, that idea makes a lot of sense. 8)

Larry
The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation- Henry David Thoreau

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

cool!

Postby boldpsi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Sonny,

that is one SLICK idea with the two bikes. i'm makin' one o' them for myself!!! thanks for the great close-ups...

with those metal tracks, tho... you won't be hand-cranking two of those, will you?!?

good luck, and thanks, again!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Here is a short vid. of the creeper and me plantin' strawberries last month! (Nov.)--kind of shows it in action and how I operate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFx6Ka3wlU

The irons sticking out on the left side, just above the peddle line can be used to carry a few things if you want!--plant trays, ( I usually just slide the tray along in front of me, but carry the second one up there), small tools,(our ground is mellow enough that I don't have to use a pick-ax for a hoe!--just use hands or the little flower bed tools!), and harvest containers while pickin'! you can attach a platform where it would be the handiest for you to reach and make a size to fit your needs, too!
I have been on this thing for many hours at a time and the spine is not supporting your whole weight like in the stand/bend position! (I can't even bend to put my shoes on, and have limited head turn range),---by being able to alternate from sitting to laying helps too!--sitting on this still dosen't put a great strain on the spine, and you can kind of help walk yourself along and use the ratchet at same time.

The steel track model will have a hydraulic system with 2 hyd. motors, one on each track to drive/steer the unit.--I know hydro. systems require LOTS of hp, I am starting with a new 6.5 hp B & S motor---may have to up that after a test run, as I don't have and specs to go by!--just the knowledge learned from other projects that I have made!

some of the hydraulic experience comes from when I built the excavator before I had a real back-hoe!

If you have other questions, ask, and I will try to answer them for you! thanks :sonny

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks for the video. I love it! I still don't plan to plant peas or beans, though. Do you use it for picking strawberries?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I do pick strawberries with mine,--The new planting is planted in a different pattern than our old bed, so it will line the plants up better and make for faster/easier pickin',--at least that is the goal! thanks; sonny

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Sonny I have been working on my creeper design,,,,,,, I will be using manual wheelchair tires and wheels,,,,,,,I had them,,,,, thinking about the steering,,,,,,, battery power,,,,,quick connect tongue for pulling with my power wheelchair,,,,,,and lots of other needs,,,, I like to build things in my head and on paper until I have addressed all problem,,,,,, of coarse I want to use parts that I have in my junk boxes. I like to keep it simple also. Have you done anymore with your track design? :D :D :D :D

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:54 pm

your ideas sound great!--gotta make-to-fit your needs!--mine is what I could come up with and make rather simple,(don't have lathe or milling machine)! design kinda fit me, but each builder will need to make it fit them and their needs!--sometimes a starting point can be helpful, and that is why I posted mine so others whom may have spinial problems could still garden, by making one of these!---they do work! --keep the ideas comming!
I haven't been able to get out to work on the tracked jobber because we are now covered with LOT'S of ice and they say more to come in a couple days!--I have to watch that I don't fall, according to the surgeon! --can't even get to the p.o. to pick up the mail!! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”