This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

polarizing generator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

polarizing generator question

Postby John Niekamp » Wed May 19, 2004 11:57 pm

I need some help on polarizing my generator. I thought that I was suppose to take a wire from the post on the generator to the battery terminal on the voltage regulator. Does it matter on which terminal I jump on the generator?

It will not charge and the generator appears to be working and the regulator looks like it't not very old either.

The amperage gauge does not work at all. (have new on on order) is there any other way to tell if the generator is putting voltage to the battery? The points on the regulator appear to be okay and not burnt.

Where and what voltages should be at any givin point? Voltage regulator, generator terminals etc.

I thought that if the generator was putting out voltage you should be able to unhook one of the battery cables and the generator would keep the engine running. YES, I have a distribuitor, not a magneto.

John N.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 20, 2004 6:12 am

John, the jumper goes from the batt. terminal to the gen. terminal on the regulator. The gen terminal on the regulator is connected to the generator armature terminal.
The best way to see if the generator is charging is to measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the tractor off, then start the engine and measure the battery voltage with the engine running about half throttle. The voltage should be around 7.4 volts with the engine running if the generator is charging. Any reading higher than normal battery voltage would indicate some charging.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

robstagis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby robstagis » Thu May 20, 2004 6:19 am

I'm not familiar, but if the ammeter ain't working, could that be the issue? I know it used to be, occasionally.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu May 20, 2004 8:08 am

if you receive Red Power magazine, there is a terrific article by Jim Becker in the Dec (i think) issue last year. all the troubleshooting and repair info needed is in there. if you don't get Red Power, they will send you a back copy when you call for a subscription. :wink:

Red Power Magazine http://redpowermagazine.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.cgi
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”