This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

farm dog

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

farm dog

Postby Uncle Mike » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:54 am

Thinking of getting a farm dog. Hoping to have some advise on breeds. I need a dog that wont mind being outside, knows what its side of the fence is. Wants to keep deer and rabits out, knows not to chase cattle or pigs or suck eggs and eat chicken. Was thinking of English Shepherd.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:02 am

This is like asking what brand oil is the best, but probably the best for your use in my opinion is a border collie. Intelligent, and good around animals and kids. Ours was easy to train, and a big help when we needed to move animals. Whatever you get though, you will have a head start if you get one that was raised on a farm, or in the country, not from a puppy mill.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:23 am

Golden retreiver can ask for a better dog in the world. doesn't mess with the chickens, ducks, cats, horses or cows. But he will kill a ground hog in a second hates them and squirrels.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 pm

I can say what breed NOT to get!--Black lab.!--they kill everything in sight!!--my uncles had one!! ---Killed every pheasant, rabbit, chicken,etc. in 5 mile radius of home!--even chased deers, caught a couple! killed groundhogs, dug up field lane gettin' ground squirrels, got several tree squirrels too!---if it moved that dog killed it!!!! thanks; sonny

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:28 pm

Sonny we had the exact opposite with a Black Lab. Bev is the trainer tough and that may be the secret. Dog loved every thing and everybody. Kids could jump on pull it's ears or tail, no problem. From 100 yards either of us could whistle, point to the ground and she would sit and stay till told OK. One time a ground hog poked it's head out, Bev said "Get it Pokey" and over time all the ground hogs in the neighborhood were at Bev's feet with a tail wagging dog there also. Only thang she hasn't trained. Guess who? Fortunately she is still trying.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:51 pm

I don't think the breed has near as much to do with it as much as how much time you want to spend on training it. My son has a great dane that is a gentle as all get out but.. no matter what runs through the field will meet its maker. Border collies are in my opinion the easiest dogs to train. The best companions I have ever had was ones rescued from the pound. All can be great if treated with a little love. (kinda like men) :roll: :roll: Whatever you get you can train it to be what you want. The most difficult dog I ever met was a springer spaniel. Beautiful dog but 75% are brain dead. (gonna catch it over that statement) Good luck Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:45 pm

I agree with John and Grump on the Border Collie. Once they are taught you should have no problems. You just have to remember not to let them learn something you will regret. They are too smart to forget anything. Depending on how well they are trained decides if you need a fenced yard. My barnyard (3 1/2 acres) is totally surrounded by 4' chain link. One of mine will chase cars if let loose.

Flash and Bandit can hardly be found on cold winter nights. The Border was bred to handle livestock and is adept at living outdoors. These two girls like sleeping in the hay loft so they can watch the yard at night.

Deer and rabbits in your garden? Not with these girls around. They give about anything a run for their money. If trained properly they will learn to live with the chickens.

One thing to keep in mind if you get one from a rescue center, most centers do not allow their adoptee's to sleep outside. All the ones around here told us they had to be inside in a cage when we were gone or asleep. They said they do periodic checks to see how they were treated. That's good to prevent cruelty but I think it's more cruel to cage them. We never felt a dog should be kept like that. I don't know how the dog pound feels about it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:22 pm

I just thought my Uncles "lab" was an exception!! they did try to teach it to mind but that never happened!--I forgot too that its favorite dessert was copper wire, beer can tabs, and hot ciggie butts, it found around the farm! thanks; sonny

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:29 pm

I think 99% of dog breeds are good if they are trained & handled correctly. My last 4 dogs have been Queensland-Blue-Healers and that is what I will get again if I outlive the present one. :wink:
Then came Bronson

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:22 am

Can't say it any better than Grumpy did. WOOF WOOF
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:49 am

grumpy wrote:Border collies are in my opinion the easiest dogs to train. The best companions I have ever had was ones rescued from the pound.

Amen to that. Buster, my dog, is a border collie/Australian shepherd mix that we got from the pound. Great dog, friendly, loyal very smart. He's not a farm dog, but he does work outdoors with me. Have only done minimal training with him (sit, come, etc.) and he learned like a flash and obeys every time. Wonderful wonderful dog.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Training

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:11 am

I have raised Golden Retrievers and now raise English Labs, you can make a good dog out of about any breed. Its all about time you commit to your dog. Retrievers are very loyal and will work hard for you. Herding dogs like boarder collies have high energy and need to have a job they can be amazing. Friend of mine has a Bison farm and his one border collie can corral a loose Bison and spends all its time out watching the heard. No matter what kind of dog you choose and how it turns out is in your hands good luck and have fun.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

dogs, dogs, dogs.... and then there's Border Collies!

Postby boldpsi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:33 pm

i've had St. Bernards; Goldens; Labs; and Border Collies. the Border Collies are by far and away the smartest, most easily trained dogs, there's no doubt in my mind. my Stormy is an excellent watchdog, lives with cats in the house, and just adores the outside (unless we're inside!). here's a pic of her guarding the Cub:

she's 25-30 pounds, eats just about nothin', is gentle with children, and is just so lovable. there's no question about it: Border Collies are a good bet for a farm-dog.
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

LASER-LOOK!!!

Postby boldpsi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 pm

also, Border Collies have laser-eyes! :shock:

:bellylaugh:

dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:23 pm

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”