This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

LOOSE STEERING ON FARMALL H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

LOOSE STEERING ON FARMALL H

Postby brian kov » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:15 pm

. i am slowly getting things done on the H , today i pulled the steering rod out from in the rad. so that i may remove the rad and get the front of the motor all cleaned up . the steering is real sloppy ,i probably has 20 some degrees of free play , this is too much yes . can i be corrrected easily or is it a real job . also i looked beneath to see if it had a rad pet cock , some one jambed a piece of wood in there . i can not believe it hasnt leaked since i owned it , about 3 yrs now . :lol: i thought i had seen the last of the cobbleling when i removed the street bike muffler from the broken and welded manifold with tie wire holding it together :lol:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:12 pm

Brian, If the steering play can't be adjusted out with the nut then the gears are worn. If you are lucky you'll have the full round steering gear with an anused side. If not Ebay regularly has worm and gear sets for sale. Heck I think I've got a set if you think you may need them. Jack the front up and check bushing wear in the upper bolster. There is an upper and lower bushing there and that is where the road vibration comes from. If the lower bolster is loose in all directions ( it surely will be ) then those bushings need replaced. Still available at CNH.

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Brian ,
WK's got you taken care of one other thing to look at is the U-joint on the steering rod itself. Might find some play there also.
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Check where the splines where the gear goes on the shaft. EJ was badly worn there. just needed a new gear.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:47 pm

how do i check the wear once i have it jacked up . should i just try to shake the front wheels around kinda like wheel bearings on a vehicle .i got the tree limb out of the rad drain hole ,i had to ream it out i didnt want my drill full of antifreeze :lol: . is there supposed ot be a petcock in there or just a plug . the universal in the steering columb is actually in good condition . so the play is in the bolster some where for sure .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Jack it up on the rails. The lower bolster will most likely be hanging loose in all directions. Might even be some up and down play. The rad uses a 1/4 NPT approx. 4" pipe and plug.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:25 pm

you will need to let it down ans put weight on the wheels to find the play, especially if it is the splines.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:01 pm

its sittin on the wheels right now . .i have the steering shaft out completely .when it was in yesterday i turned it back and fourth,so that play is most likely in the gears not to say the bolster ids tight ,its probably real loose too. i dont know what the heck they used this poor h for but it is deffinately worn , the brake and clutch have thje lil diamonds worn off and the hitchis badly worn and oblonged . i dont know wheather it was here it whole life or not , i wish it could talk.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Many of them worked long and hard. my old H has had engine overhauled 4 times in it's life, and the drawbar has been built up at least twice where the arm slides on it, and the hole in end of swinging drawbar has been built up at least 3 times.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:44 pm

I need to do mine front end wobble Got a new gear and a frien showed me how to do it.He has a Super H.Can't wait to do mine!!!!Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:40 am

Some time ago and a story for another day, I had a chance to buy an H and the drawbar hole was perfectly round. That said everything to me about the tractors past.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:47 pm

I TOOK THE COVER OFF OF THE steering and found a 1 1/2 " pan head wood screw to hold the castle nut ,it was barely hanging in there by the tip of the screw , :lol: .it seems that the is some play between the half moon gear and the vertical splined shaft , it is about an 1/8" measured at the edge of the half moon gear . should i build the gear splines up to tighten the gap :?: i am just about to fire the saw up and cut some cribbing out of the extra barn timbers , then i can jack it up and check the bottom end of the steering bolster . hope fully that is decent then i can go onto cleaning the front of the engine since i was able to just get the rad off . i broke the rad bolts , are they studs that go into the rad ,if they are can i drill them out and put new studs in when it goes back together :?:

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Yes they are studs if I remember right. The rad sits on rubber washers on the bolster and the studs go through with nuts on the bottom.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:40 pm

what do ya think about htat amount of play in the gear and shaft . :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:11 pm

Brian, most likely the play is in the gear, the shaft is much harder and the gear will wear faster. Normally when you see wear at that particular point it has had a loader on it for an extended period. give JP Tractor a call (at bottom of screen) they will sell you a good gear reasonably. That is where I got the one for EJ. It reduced the steering wheel play form almost half a round to about half an inch

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”