This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transporting a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
saeason
10+ Years
10+ Years

Transporting a Cub

Postby saeason » Tue May 25, 2004 2:28 pm

I live in Georgia but own a 1949? Farmall Cub in Upstate NY (Ithaca). I need to transport it to Georgia (Claxton). I'm looking for suggestions. Most professional movers wont' touch it. A U-haul Truck cost 1,000+. I can't put a trailer behind my Ford Explorer. A truck and trailer rental would be 1,000K plus. Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 25, 2004 2:37 pm

You might try http://www.ytmag.com and look on the left side of the page for the hauling schedule. Many times you can find someone with room for an additional load at reasonable rates.

I am curious as to why you can't put a trailer behind your Explorer.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue May 25, 2004 2:40 pm

Hello
I know very little on towing, but have seen people on here towing with ford rangers and even a vw camper, are you sure a ford explorer will be over the towing limit ? Some folks rent 5 by 10 or 6 by 12 trailers from uhaul, that can't cost a thousand can it ? Wiat for the pros to step in here, but I would check the towing capacity of your vehicle again. Paul K in N.H.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Bronco does the job

Postby countershaft » Tue May 25, 2004 10:42 pm

I agree , put a trailer hitch and light package on the Explorer. I haul my Cub and SA ( not together) on a flat bed trailer with no difficulty what
so ever behind my "( Ford Bronco)"

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 pm

Hello saeason

http://www.autodriveaway.com/

I used these guys about four years back to haul one from N. Michigan to SE Arizona. They charged me $650. I had to repaint both the rims. They strapped through them to anchor the tractor and wore all the paint off. Other than that there was no damage to the tractor and they came in on time.

Now I am a professional Cub gitter and haul my own...Its fun :D

Mike

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Wed May 26, 2004 9:29 am

Use your Explorer. Maybe you are saying you can't use it because you don't have a hitch? It would be MUCH cheaper to have an hitch installed and go get it than to have someone else haul it for you.

I use my Ford Escape with a single axle 7' x 12' with no problem.

The Escape only has a tow rating of 3500lb. I would think your Explorer would be up around 5000lb.

Look at John's set up. (Missy-ippi Trip) He has a nice dual axle trailer that he pulls with his Ranger. The Explorer and Ranger are probably tow rated the same.

**By the way John, you state the weight of your trailer, what is the load limit? Nice looking set-up.

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 26, 2004 12:40 pm

Shopp'n Cubs wrote:. I would think your Explorer would be up around 5000lb.

Look at John's set up. (Missy-ippi Trip) He has a nice dual axle trailer that he pulls with his Ranger. The Explorer and Ranger are probably tow rated the same.

**By the way John, you state the weight of your trailer, what is the load limit? Nice looking set-up.
Guy
Gross weight is 7,000 pounds, so the trailer can handle 5,500+ of cargo. My 2001 Ranger with a 4 liter (244 cubic inches) is rated for a 5,000 pound trailer. If I remember correctly, the Explorer of the same vintage was only rated for a 3,500 ir 4,000 pound trailer.

As a side note, since everyone is thinking about gas prices, the Ranger gets 20mpg on the highway. Going to Mississippi, using the cruise control and running the speed limit, I got 16.2 mpg. On the return trip, I turned the cruise off in the hills, and drove with a light foot. I also kept my speed at 65 or below. With the cub and about 400 pounds of extra parts and old castings on board I got 15mpg on the return trip. I was satisfied.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed May 26, 2004 12:54 pm

I have used my 91 explorer V-6 to pull a 2,450lb horse trailer with a 1100lb horse + junk (hay grain saddels ect). Going through hills you would want electric trailer brakes. USE DRINE NOT OVERDRIVE or you will smoke the trans.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farmall Cub”