This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint...This question is not intended to induce strokes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint...This question is not intended to induce strokes

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Wed May 26, 2004 5:40 pm

I have a '47 Cub that has served me well since I moved back to the country. I plow my 600' macadam drive in the winter and keep about 8 acres mowed every week with it pulling a 60" swisher deck. It really needs a paint job however. When I bought it 4 years ago the paint the paint was in fair shape, faded, but not too bad, but it's coming off in places, especially on the hood around the radiator cap. I would love to take it down, sandblast the castings and sand the sheet metal, and paint it the right way, but time, money and the fact that I need to use the tractor at least 2 days a week are going to delay this for awhile. I need to paint it now however, as it is starting to rust (just surface rust now) in places and my wife has taken to calling it an eyesore, which pains me deeply. Has anyone had any luck pressure washing lose paint and grease, sanding, and spray painting? Is there any better quality spray paint, not just the hardware store Krylon that would look OK and hold up for a couple of years? I know that this is a pretty poor way to go about a paint job but I gotta do something, and soon. :oops:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Wed May 26, 2004 6:46 pm

This answer may really produce strokes, but the '50 A-C Model B that I own has been brush painted by the previous owner about 5 times with various shades of orange. He didn't want the tractor to rust - and there is not a speck of rust on the tractor - but, he didn't have the time nor the inclination to invest a lot of time or money in paint.

Since this is part of the history of the tractor, I will continue to use the tractor in the ways it was intended and touch up the paint with a brush just as it has been for over 50 years.

I would say that anything that you can do, including spray painting, to prevent the metal from deteriorating is acceptable to all but the most critical paint police. I know that I would do that to my little '50 Cub until I could do a proper job.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 26, 2004 8:35 pm

My local paint shop - C-Max, which is owned by NAPA, mixes up and loads the paint into spray bombs, or rattle cans. It is not cheap. About 12 bucks a can, but it is the right stuff. No hardener though as it would be a brick by the time you used it.

On a cheaper note, if you have an IH dealer around, THEY sell 2150 in rattle cans as well as the blue, yellow, cream and silver - and that is just the ones I have seen. I think they are about 8 bucks or so -- Canadian, might be cheaper in the states.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 am

I know its a sin, but I have a can of IH red from the dealer that I brush on when there is a need. Not the best, but its better than rust. Stand bakk 10 feet, it wont look so bad.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu May 27, 2004 12:21 pm

and my wife has taken to calling it an eyesore, which pains me deeply.

since the tractor has become a source of marital unrest, and the tractor is needed every week, i would think that an equitable solution would be to procure a SECOND cub to perform those chores while you are making the FIRST cub beautiful :!: :wink:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Thu May 27, 2004 1:07 pm

Mad:

The hood/gas tank is fairly easy & quick to remove. Since this represents most of the sheetmetal and is the first thing most people see on a tractor. Why not remove it - sand it up a little - prime - and rattle can it with IH paint.

Then pressure wash the rest of the tractor with degreaser and maybe wire brush and then do the brush trick with a quart of IH red to get a new coat of paint quick.

The hood will look good and from 10 ft the body will be clean. If you don't have a set of decals you can get a new set off E-bay for about $15.00.

Thats what I did with my working tractor a couple of years ago it took me about four days - it still looks pretty good and it's not an "Eyesore" anymore.

PS: A coat of HI-temp alum. paint on the manifold and exhaust muffler does wonders to dress-up the job.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Return to “Farmall Cub”