This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Exhaust manifold question...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Exhaust manifold question...

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:52 pm

I was cleaning up the exhaust manifold yesterday and noticed a small hole about 1/8 inch on the bottom to the left of the carb flange. It was full of dirt so I cleaned it out. Pictures on TMs site have this hole so I guess it's supposed to be there. Is this true and does anyone know what it's for?

How clean does it need to be to have it powder coated?

Thanks,
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:57 pm

Ken, That's a weep hole in the casting to help with condensation. I'm not sure how clean the manifold would have to be for powder coating but I would think that whoever does coating can tell you or they may clean it as part of their process.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:07 pm

Hey Ken,

The powder coater I used told me to free the manifold of grease, dirt and rust. He would do the final prep himself once he got it at his shop. Before I sent mine to him, I used a blasting cabinet and blasted it clean, then sent it own its way. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:22 pm

Thanks guys, I thought it was too perfect a hole to be a defect.

Prepping for powder coating sounds a lot like prepping for paint.
I wish that I had access to a blasting cabinet!
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:24 pm

Ken:

Use the electrolysis tank! 8) :)

I am using my tank much more than the sandblaster. Oh, don't have a sandblasting cabinet either - probably never get one.... :roll:

I am so impressed with the electrolysis tank, sure is making a lot of my rust/crud/dirt and grease removal easier. I then just use a twisted wire cup brush or wheel to clean it up. It is amazing. The only work you really have to do is hook the part you want cleaned to the anode and then un-hooking it -- really easy.

Yust a taught :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gary L.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17252
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Gary L. » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Ken
I made a blasting cabinet out of an old shipping crate made from 1/4" plywood, using an aluminum frame glass out of a mobile home window,(seal around the inside seams of the box with caulking) I cut holes for arms (snug fit)and use one of those cheapo sand blasters that you stick the pipe into a bucket of sand..I cut a hole in the top and stick an old vacuum cleaner hose in to help clear the dust, the door is in the end with outhouse door type handles..you have to scoop the sand out and back into the bucket, it's not near as pretty as the ones Eastwood sells but have used it many times..wear rubber gloves and a resperator tho, still gets dusty..Gary L.
Gary L.

Return to “Farmall Cub”