This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

mice and d con

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

mice and d con

Postby john2189 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:07 am

I put 4 boxes of d con in the basement last sunday, they ate 3 of the 4 and no sign of dead mice and no smell. how long does this stuff take to work ?

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:33 am

John,

The way that the poison works, it forces the mice to seek water. That usually means going outside, and that's where they typically die. If you or your neighbors have cats, make sure you pick up any carcasses you see and dispose of them where the pets can't get to them.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks Don,

There are no outside cats around here, but I do have a dog, I dont know if the dog would eat them or not
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:42 am

I got lucky.I had a paper bag i put burnables in.The little%^$$%chewed a hole in the side [i heard him doing it]of the bag.I caught him in the bag,took it outside and poof!!!Gone!!!I don't feel sorry for him.He ate a lot of peanut butter on traps.He was a real little guy.OH WELL!!!Should have stayed outside.kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm

D-Con is Coumadin - blood thinner - the same thing that's given to lots of senior citizens and others for any blockages so circulation isn't shut down. In the case of mice, the bleed to death from within. I used to put it out until I discovered a big pile of it in the shock tower of my car - the little devils were putting it away for future use. I suppose they ingested enough over the time spent toting it around to kill them - the problem is it might be lethal to another animal that eats them. I now use the small plastic snap traps and peanut butter - have had quite a hunt this Winter. Craig

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

rats!

Postby boldpsi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:10 pm

we used to have biiiig Norway rats on our farm between Ithaca and Watkins Glen, NY. we used D-Con, which as the others have said, makes'em want water 'cuz they're blood is so thinned out. by the way, D-Con and aspirin have about 99% of their molecules in common (yikes!).

one way we killed rats/mice without poison (after we got the big rats taken care of) was to build a simple trap:

get together:
1. a large, 5 gallon bucket (or bigger) with straight sides, and fill it 1/2 full with water
2. a piece of string big enough to support the size critter yer lookin' to kill
3. an empty soda or beer can. you can sometimes find one around my house ;^)

put a couple holes on opposite sides of the bucket to hold the string straight across it. put a hole in the bottom of the can (for the top, use the ready made hole - this will make it "wobbly"). thread the string through the can, and tie it off on both ends. form a depression in the can, big enough to hold some peanut butter (i guess you can form the depression whenever you want!). apply the peanut butter to the depression, and make it so that the depression stays "up"; sometimes it's a little hard, but keep working on it until the can still rotates, but sits on the string. when the mice/rats go for the peanut butter, IF they make it to the can, they'll make the can rotate and fall into the water. this worked for us fairly well.

good luck, mice hunters!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm

magnumpi wrote:D-Con is Coumadin - blood thinner - In the case of mice, the bleed to death from within.

Craig

////////////////////////

From what I was told by a Vet that is a true statement. And, and , and, I was also told that if your pet ingests D-Con that you need to quickly feed or force-feed it with vitamin (K) and that will thicken the blood immediatly to stop the internal bleeding. I dont know the availability of vitimin (K) though :?: Guess that will be my next Gurgle surch. :idea:
Then came Bronson

Tim Moore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim Moore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

The active ingredient in D-con is a first generation rodenticide that takes multiple feedings for a leathal dose. If you chose this poison is is better to grind it up with a board so they can't relocate the pellets and have to consume it in place. Sometimes they will begin to get sick and stop feeding on it.

The second generation rodenticides only require a single feeding for a lethal dose. Read the ingredients and look for "bromadilone" (probably the most common 2nd generation but their are others) instead of "warfarin" (de-con).

If your pet is exposed pour a little 3% peroxide down their throat to induce vomiting right away--call the vet to find out how much based on the size of the animal then take them in for the vit. K1 treatments.

Tim Moore
MSU pest management and a 13 year private pest control company.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 am

Friend of mine in Geneva NY many years ago put Rat poisen in the barn. As they took out hay the found dead rats as well as ermine, mink and neighbors cats. That was the last time for that treatment.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedBess » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

I used to take care of 4 summer homes. The owners used dcon. Like you I found empty dcon boxes and lots of mouse poop, but no mice. It made cleaning harder because of the extra mess. It finally occurred to me that if the mice had no food, poisoned or not, they would not dump all over the place. I reasoned with the owners this way: why lure the mice inside with food in order to kill them? The mice come and go anyways. Sure they might be dying, but there is always another mouse to come along and eat more. When they stopped the dcon, the rest of the mouse damage also stopped. It was counter intuitive, but it worked.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 pm

It's best to stick with Victor mouse traps baited with peanut butter. That way, I know where all the bodies are.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:It's best to stick with Victor mouse traps baited with peanut butter. That way, I know where all the bodies are.

Carl,

I set two victor traps, I found one trap with a mouse in it, never did find the other trap, a mouse must have drug it under the counters, never smelled or anything. dont know where it is. mabe when I redo the kitchen, ill find it..... hopefully with a skelaton in it
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:06 am

I use the K.I.S.S. method. Keep It Simple Stupid. I made weasel traps. Which is nothing more then a plywood box with no bottom. It is 6" high inside and 5" wide. At each end I drilled a 1 1/2" hole. The bottom of the hole is about 2" from ground level. Buy 2 rat trapd or mouse traps the old style. do not place bait on traps put it on a butter lid or something small. Then set both traps, 1 on each side with the trigger away from bait (so the trigger will be under hole). Place box overtop of both traps and bait. When critter goes through hole it will automatically go down onto trigger. You don't loose any traps and once they get in they can't get out even if they miss the trigger the first time.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:44 am

This works much better than D-con :lol:

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Back to war!!!Saw another one!!!Sticky traps and snap traps.I been seeing stray cats outside.Must be food around and I'm not feeding them.No decon don't want to hurt the strays,but i don't like cats either.Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”