This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

goats

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

goats

Postby Kevin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:22 pm

i am wanting to find out a little about goats as i would like to get two of the
i would want them to both be wethers no need for a female as i don't want milk just wanted them to be around for the fun of it. anyone have any suggestions i was thinking maybe a pygmy style goat not sure any suggestions or comment would be welcome.
thanks hope to talk soon
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:39 pm

I was thinking about getting some goats a while back but for a different reason. The idea being a few goats hanging around could relieve my Cub Cadet from mowing chores!
I got the idea from a farmer down the road who has a herd of those pygmy goats grazing in his big front lawn which always looks mowed and i'll bet well fertilized also.
At any rate, good question!
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Kevin:

Talk to Johnny aka Jostev Stevenson... his family has goats.. and sheep... very nice goats and sheep too. When Em and I stopped by to visit, we were welcomed to the property by a very nice family of goats. Made us wish for our goats again.... they are a lot of fun.. a lot of work, but they can be enjoyable.

Let me warn you though.. Johnny is in charge of feeding the herd, so he may not wax as contentedly about the joys of goats as others may.... :big shy: :big yuk: :big afro: :big smile: :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:56 am

Goats are evil, look in their eyes. They will win your heart, then laugh at you as they dance on top of your Cub.
Best,
Mike

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:25 am

Goats are evil, look in their eyes. They will win your heart, then laugh at you

One might say the same thing about cats! :roll:

Mike, you just reminded me why i scrapped the goat idea! Asked my neighbor one day about goats, and his only reply was "you'd better keep all your vehicles in the garage"! :shock:
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

goats

Postby Kevin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:17 pm

they would have an area fenced in to keep them for most of the time
still interested have read alot about them wanted to know a little more from someone who had them already
thanks
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Re: goats

Postby Dennis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Kevin wrote:they would have an area fenced in to keep them for most of the time
still interested have read alot about them wanted to know a little more from someone who had them already
thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin, we have a couple goats now, Veronica and Betty. They can be a lot of fun and work. As for two goats keeping lawns mowed, not likely; they are browsers, so a little of this and a little of that is what they eat. Although, if you have an orchard, they love to eat leaves and will destroy an garden/orchard if given the chance -- so fence them well.

One tip that I did not get until we got our two -- I wish I had known before -- was to get 3 goats. They definitely need company, and if you ever lose one goat, the other will not be happy and will make you very unhappy in the process. With a third goat, that would not be an immediate issue... Now I hope both ours live for a long time :)

BILL PASTOR
10+ Years
10+ Years

GOATS

Postby BILL PASTOR » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:01 pm

HI WE HAVE RAISED GOATS FOR YEARS---NO TROUBLE AT ALL--GREAT WITH KIDS --ONLY HAVE 2 NOW -HAD 23 AT MOST---BILL PASTOR
3-9NS,2 -ALLIS B, 1-ALLIC C,FARMALL F-12,CUB,NEW HOLLAND 1920 W/ LOADER&BACKHOE

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:15 pm

any specific breed of goat you like better like full size or pygmy or specific breed. what all do they eat is there regular goat feed or do they eat the sweet feed a horse eats.the area i have is some grass and some bushes and won't matter what they do there as its the back corner of my property close to a swampy area.
thanks again
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

Jeremy58Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01473
Tractors Owned: 1958 Cub

Postby Jeremy58Cub » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey Kevin, we are in the same boat right now. There is a great farm we go to periodically and they sell their wethers for $50. Our 2 small children, 1 and 3, just love the goats at the farm so we are thinking about it. They have all different kinds, but mostly are the Nigerian Pygmy's and African dwarfs. They also have Nubian's but usually those end up bigger than what we are looking for.

What we have learned mostly came from a book called Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. This was recommended to us and although we don't have plans for dairy goats, there is good info for any type of goat owner.

We have decided to adopt in the spring as opposed to the fall, thinking that we will be able to spend more time with the young goats in the spring/summer, as opposed to the winter when they will be in their house mostly and we won't be out there as much in the cold. They will basically be pets, so we want to have the time when they are young to adapt them to being around our kids etc.

Good luck!
Jeremy
58 Cub

BILL PASTOR
10+ Years
10+ Years

GOATS

Postby BILL PASTOR » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 pm

HI KEVIN--PYGMYS ARE VERY EASY TO RAISE & ARE GENTLE AS ARE MOST GOATS-WE RAISED TENNESSEE FAINTING GOATS { NO ITS NOT A JOKE} INFO ON THEM CAN BE FOUND ON THE INTERNET--MY WIFE GOT US STARTED ON THEM 20 YEARS AGO & SHE PASSED AWAY IN 1994-- WE HAD 2 BOYS 8&10 SO I WAS BUSY WITH TOO MANY THINGS TO STAY REAL INVOLVED WITH THE GOATS BUT, LIKE I SAID BEFORE-WE HAD 23 AT TOPS!! :lol: :lol: SHEN KIDS WENT AWAY TO COLLEGE-HERD HAD TO DROP DRASTICALY!--I ALWAYS FED WITH PELLETIZED GOAT FEEDRATHER THAN GROUND FEED - HOLDS UP BETTER IF IT GETS DAMP&STORES BETTERGOAT FEED SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT MOST COOPS& MAYBE A TRACTOR SUPPLY--I AWS TOLD HORSE FEED WAS TOO HIGH IN PROTEIN---SEE YA BILL
3-9NS,2 -ALLIS B, 1-ALLIC C,FARMALL F-12,CUB,NEW HOLLAND 1920 W/ LOADER&BACKHOE

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:47 pm

I had goats at two points in time. Yup they do get onto places they shouldn't. They will jump from one car to the next until they can get to the next highest place and then ultimately wind up on top of the animal shed.
The males stink pretty badly unless fixed. My farm was a goat farm for a long time. Now we have sheep. They are friendly, less mischief, and the males don't smell (they will ram you, though).

Chris

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:39 pm

We had a wether that grew to be a little larger than the pygmy he was supposed to be. Was meant to keep her single horse company until we later bought a second horse. Ours was just fed hay, alfalfa, and a little grain now and then. The maintenance was occassionally trimming hooves. He did have the run of the place and would eat flowers and shrubs. Also would butt which would hurt if you didn't watch out (usually got you in the shin. Lost him last fall after 21 years, so take that into account also.

Bob

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Kevin,

As for the feed, feed formulated for goats is what you need. DON'T feed your goats feed formulated for another specie. Each specie's nutritional requirements are different. One year we had a new 4-H member bring both a pig and lamb to the county fair. The lamb was several months old and no bigger the a Miniture Schnauzer dog. The hog was fine. Turned out, in the interest of economy, the lamb was fed the same feed as the hog. Hog feed is much higher in copper than what sheep can tolerate. What was fine for the hog was TOXIC to the lamb. So, feed the goats, goat feed.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 am

I think if you want them around kids. The goats need to be around and handled by people from birth. I had three pygmy in a dog kennel they would run out knock my five year old niece over then run back to their coop. Make sure the kennel is strong my billy liked sharpening his horns on the fence. I gave up after a year and a half. Made great like beef tips and noodles.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”