This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Local Straw Prices?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Local Straw Prices?

Postby Jimdawg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what local straw prices are around the country. Here in Massachusetts (where we get ripped off for everything else), I paid $8 per bale for 10 bales in the fall.

I use the straw to cover my strawberry patch, and I would like to grow a lot more, but with the price of straw, I am not sure if I can afford the mulch for the winter!

Thanks,

~Jimdawg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:08 pm

I can get a bale of feed hay for $4.00.

I'm not sure what wheat straw brings per bale.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

1cubmaster
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: veg-farmer

Postby 1cubmaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 pm

The farmer I work for just paid $150 a ton for a trailer load.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work! "
Thomas Edison

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jimdawg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:13 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:I can get a bale of feed hay for $4.00.

I'm not sure what wheat straw brings per bale.

Feed hay is anywhere from 4-6 depending on cutting, quality, and quantity. I only use straw on the plans because I don't want to introduce any more weeds into the garden...

Maybe there is another option?

~ Jimdawg

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jimdawg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 pm

1cubmaster wrote:The farmer I work for just paid $150 a ton for a trailer load.

I wonder how much a ton of wheat goes for? This might be an example of a 'waste product' having more value than the main crop...

~Jimdawg

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Wheat straw sells for $3 to $4.50 a bale right now. It's about a dollar a bale higher than it was last year.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Price of straw depends on area. In this area there is no wheat grown, and straw has to be hauled in. Some garden stores are paying 5 to 6 per bale for good clean straw right now.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Jimdawg,

I don't follow the price of straw now, so I can't help you there. As for the strawberry mulch, by all means use wheat straw. There are far fewer weed seeds in wheat straw, something you will really appreciate.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jimdawg » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:56 am

Bill (TAMU '78) wrote:Jimdawg,

I don't follow the price of straw now, so I can't help you there. As for the strawberry mulch, by all means use wheat straw. There are far fewer weed seeds in wheat straw, something you will really appreciate.

Bill

Absolutely, wheat straw is what I used this year. I was pleased with the product, but I just about dropped when I heard the price. If I multiply the strawberry patch by 3-5x, I'll need about $300 of straw a year.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:17 am

$3.50 plus tax in Cumberland Md. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:49 pm

In the north east corridor everything brings more money that is a hobby. With the great expansion of homes and influx of people. There are a ton of little garden shops and nurseries opening up. the demand is high so the price for clean straw is high. In my area we lose on average of 4 farms a year lost to big sod operations. More money in growing grass then corn. Also straw is bringing more money then the wheat. Just like veal calves bring more money then the milk.

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jimdawg » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 pm

smigelski wrote:In the north east corridor everything brings more money that is a hobby. With the great expansion of homes and influx of people. There are a ton of little garden shops and nurseries opening up. the demand is high so the price for clean straw is high. In my area we lose on average of 4 farms a year lost to big sod operations. More money in growing grass then corn. Also straw is bringing more money then the wheat. Just like veal calves bring more money then the milk.

Before milk prices bombed in the mid 80's my father was a dairy farmer, and his father was a dairy farmer, and his.....

Now I buy milk at a gas station for 2.99. And if you buy a pound of bacon, they'll throw in a dozen eggs free.

Maybe next year I'll make a drive to NY or PA with a truck and trailer for straw and some "cub stuff".

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:58 am

In New Holland every week there is an auction where hay, straw, and animals are sold. You pay by the ton there. I sold some straw to a landscaper this year for $3.00 a bale. It wasn't totally clean. He needed it and there was the typical shortage. Alot of straw ends up in the big square bales and goes to the mushroom farms. If you are going to make any passes through south Jersey for cub stuff, let me know and I will see if I can get you straw cheaper.

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jimdawg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:19 pm

smigelski wrote:In New Holland every week there is an auction where hay, straw, and animals are sold. You pay by the ton there. I sold some straw to a landscaper this year for $3.00 a bale. It wasn't totally clean. He needed it and there was the typical shortage. Alot of straw ends up in the big square bales and goes to the mushroom farms. If you are going to make any passes through south Jersey for cub stuff, let me know and I will see if I can get you straw cheaper.

Thanks!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”