This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle Mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Red Rooster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13317
Tractors Owned: '58 Cub Lo-Boy
'52 Super C
'43 H

Sickle Mower

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:19 pm

Does anyone know if there are bolts that can substitute for the rivets used to attach knives on a cub sickle bar mower. If so, is there a source for purchasing online? If bolts aren't available is there an online source for the correst rivets? Thanks!
Red Rooster
(Eric Trahan)
58 Cub Lo Boy
52 Super C
43 H

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tnestell » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:00 am

I don't know about using bolts, but the solid rivets should be available at any farm supply store. I put them in from the bottom, placed this on a solid piece of steel (anil part of a bench vise) and flatten with a ball pein hammer. The rivet shaft expands and makes a very tight connection. I don't believe a bolt would be as strong. Ted

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:18 am

When using rivets, use a large hammer and hit them hard. That swells them into the holes and makes thim tighter. If you just head them rather than using a big enough hammer to flatten them they will loosen.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:26 am

Sloan express or Valuebilt can get them for you online, I picked mine up at Tractor supply, I converted over to bolt ons since my big mower already had them on it any way. I needed all new hold downs anyway so I got the new high clearance ones but I think you might be able to grind the originals for clearance because they seem pretty close. T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:23 pm

I have seen kits before at the tractor supply stores that converted the rivets with a special slined shoulder bolt. I thought them way too pricey considering the ease of finding the rivets at any farm supply or tractor dealer. also it is quicker in my mind to replace the knives with the rivets and a hammer than to screw with bolts.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 pm

I got hooked on the bolt ons after we got a new replacement knife for the haybine that came with the bolt on's. The best feature about them is that you dont have to remove the knife to change a broken section. If your not depending on your cub to get the hay down and only using it for an occaisional job stay with the rivets, but after about 25 years out in the elements my mower needed everything replaced any way, my uncle backed it in behind the shed and dropped it on the ground after my cousin tore it all up on a pipe surveyors stake. T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

Return to “Farmall Cub”