This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

field engineering...long post

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

field engineering...long post

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:45 pm

I've been looking the '48 over that I brought home from NY last week and thought I'd show some of the modifications that have been done by some P.O.... some that may even be helpful.

Someone was asking about a supplier for an underslung exhaust, and this one must have come from a plumbing shop.

For those who want different tires to prevent marking turf, here's another idea. These are 13" Ford wheels with studded snow tires... probably also helpful to steer when plowing snow.

Here's another way to help the governor shaft problem... drill and tap for a set screw to help in addition to the Locktite or shims.

I don't know if this was a good idea, but it would make the carburetor more responsive to the governor,,, and also eliminate the rod rubbing on the engine block.

Here's a tool box with a weatherproof lid. An ammo box bolted to the right fender.

The chains have been modified by adding extra rings so they'll bite even when they slip between the tire lugs. I think old garage door springs would be a good source for such rings.

The rear rockshaft reach rod is made from 1/2" x 1 1/2" bar stock. I imagine it is stiffer than the original.

The blade lifting reach rod is made from pipe with bar stock ends... also stronger than original. In the background is another step idea, bent from 2' x 1/2' bar stock.

I expec I'll find more things when I start tearing it apart.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:13 pm

Looks like a heavy duty worker for sure, George..... Good idea for the tool box. Less tendency for tool rust.........
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:49 pm

Looks like you have some work to do. I'd like to see a little better view of the blade lift if you don't mind.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:42 pm

George, at least it has some nice tires on the rear. What implements came with it? Will you be at cub fest this week end? Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:30 pm

steveb05 wrote:George, at least it has some nice tires on the rear. What implements came with it? Will you be at cub fest this week end? Steve

Steve,

The seller told me the tires have been driven about 300'. Everything else he told me is true, so.... I'm sure it's right. It came with a HUGE 6 volt battery... golf cart, I think.

It came with a front mount blade and a Mott mower.

Yes, I'll be there, in fact I'm really looking forward to it and meeting some new Cub people. It will be my first trip to TMCOTKU. I won't be bringing the "field engineered" tractor. I'm planning to bring the tricycle Cub and Scruffy..., my wife, Marilyn and our favorite dog, Reba.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:26 pm

I like that tool box also. I think I can afford that. Now I'm using a hook made from a coat hanger to hand two adjustable wrenches from where one of the 4 seat bolts is missing. Would rather have a box. Not so sure the real cub tool box is very useful but I know it need a battery box instead of my tarp straps.

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi George,

Looks like you have certainly gotten one to Willerize.

I have placed 7.62mm ammo boxes on both of my ford tractors and yes
they work great no moisure problems in the past 8 years. I think the
ammo box for the 40mm grenades would be better for the CUB. I am
going to try to find some for my work CUBs.

Return to “Farmall Cub”