This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mott mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Greg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mott mower

Postby Greg » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:19 am

Well, I got my Mott mower running last night for a few minutes, before the PTO would disengage. I have read the posts and will have to fix the PTO collar.

My Mott is attached differently than the pix I have seen and the manual on Rudi's server. Mine has two chains, one to each of the lift arms on the Touch Control. This makes it track even with the tires, rather than being offset to the right side. Also, the drive belt from the PTO was 122 inches, rather than the 147 inch belt others have noted.

Has anyone else had a mott attached like this? See any problems with this arrangement.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:35 am

Your description is totaly different than any I've ever seen. I suspect you will have a problem keeping the belt on. Also, what keeps it from swaying right and left? All I've ever seen offset to the right and had a jockey rod to stabilize them. I'll get you some pictures of mine later today. Others may also have some. If you check Rudi's server, there is a parts list and a sketch of one mounted on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:33 am

Mine may be different as well... at least the mounting differs from the manual I just found on Rudi's page. I have no idea if this was an optional mount, or like much of the tractor, a clever field modification. It looks like it will permit keeping the mower level by lifting it by two points on the auxiliary rockshaft. This should allow adjusting the height of cut "on the fly". :lol: It will project 16" on the right side of the tractor.

Another difference is the mounting of the jockey pulleys. They are mounted on a bar running between the final drives rather than on the drawbar. These are pictures that I took before I unloaded the tractor before my camera died.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:58 am

George, I think the lift and idler pulley set up you have was standard for the earlier model, and the later ones were like shown in the pictures on Rudi's server. The parts Mott I got from Russ had the same idler setup and lift you have.

Greg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Greg » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:09 pm

John,

I have a jockey rod bolted to R side of tractor, as in Rudi's diagrams. However, the chains are not both suspended from the right hydraulic arm, they go separately up to R and L arms.

My rear pulleys are on L drawbar. The "belt adjusting lever" has been field engineered similar to George's. There has been stuff welded up to hold a long piece of all-thread, I guess to move the lever front to back.

I wish I had digital camera to share pics.

Greg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:23 pm

Greg, I posred some pictures of my Mott at http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Mott%20mower/
It is made up of pieces. The idler pulley set and mower itself are from a later model (the same as in Rudi's site) The lift is from an early model, like George's is. I got tired of all the banging and clanging from the jocky rod when I mowed rough ground, so I replaced it with a piece of pipe with balls for a 3 point hitch welded to the ends. Sure quitened it down.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:32 pm

John,

Nice pictures :!: I've been wondering about the pro's and con's of the flail mowers??? Is there an advantage over a Woods 42 or any deck mower?
Last edited by Donny M on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:45 pm

Donny, each one has it's advantages depending on your needs. I had a Woods for awhile, but for my use (mostly rough cutting) the Mott works better. The Woods will give a little smoother cut when mowing a yard, but due to the blades being so close to the deck, it tends to knock big down weeds and such rather than cutting them. The Mott will wade through tall weeds and light brush with out much strain, but does have a disadvantage that if you get into tall stringy grass such as fescue (axle high, etc.) it will tend to wrap up in the cutter unless you make one pass high, then another lower. One of the biggest advantages to a Mott is it's safety. It won't throw rocks or sticks.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:42 am

John,
How many knifes does a Mott mower have and how difficult are they to change :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:28 am

The 4 foot one uses 120 knives, and I think the 5 foot one uses 152. They are not difficult to change, but are time consuming. Each pair is held by a pin with a cotter key through the end. It's been a while since I bought any, but the last I knew each knife was about 40 cents. Don't reuse the cotter keys, trying to save a 2 cent cotter key is not worth losing a $1 pair of knives and pin. If you don't mind spending a little time laying on the ground, you can sharpen them in place by using a 4 or 4 1/2 inch hand grinder.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:48 am

Thanks John,

It seems that a deck mower would be easier to maintain.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:09 pm

The only time it's a problem is when you change blades, and the ones on my Mott have been on it for aobut 4 years or more.

Return to “Farmall Cub”