This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Box Quick Fix??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Box Quick Fix??

Postby Peter Reynolds » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:26 am

Well, it's been a great spring, my cub is all up and running and we've been having a blast roaming around on it. The thing just cranks right up and snaps to life without any choking for crying out loud. I am working full time, and I am not going to have time to tear down the steering box to replace the seals and bushings for a while... The thing leaks gear oil from the pitman arm seal all over the floor.... Thought I might just screw in a zerk fitting pump that sucker full of slick-50 and call it a day. When I get the time at the end of the summer I'll tear it down and do it the right way with bushing and seals and then 90wt gear oil. Just need to know the size of one of those three plugs so I can get a matching zerk fitting. The cub is an hour and a half away, otherwise I would take one of those plugs and match it up myself, but if any of you have any idea of the size zerk i need, i would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Peter Reynolds

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:32 am

The 2 smaller ones are 1/4 inch pipe thread. Your solution will work for short term, but long term the grease will end up in the sides of the housing and the gears will be dry.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:45 am

I think you'll find Slick-50 to be thinner than 90 wt.

Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter Reynolds » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:02 pm

thanks for the advice fellas... i thought that besides an oil additive, slick 50 madea chassis grease also, but I could be wrong. I figure if I use any sort of chassis grease, then it won't seep out of the worn seal like the gear oil.

Cheers

Peter Reynolds

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Peter,
Ok, now I understand using grease will be a temp fix and a good mess to clean up when you decide to rebuild the steering box. There are chambers in the steering box that I had a hard time getting clean when it was full of HY-TRAN.

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:23 am

Donny M wrote:Peter,
Ok, now I understand using grease will be a temp fix and a good mess to clean up when you decide to rebuild the steering box. There are chambers in the steering box that I had a hard time getting clean when it was full of HY-TRAN.

Peter,
I agree with Donny. Someone had pumped mine full of cup grease. It was a huge mess to clean out. Had to use a little heat to thin the grease to get it clean. You be be sorry you did thiat quick fix. Plus as John said, it won't grease the gears after a while anyways!
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Return to “Farmall Cub”