This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lights

Postby Paul_NJ » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:22 pm

Moving on to the lights:

I dissasembled the headlights and the taillight tonight - the lenses were dirty, the housings were rusty in places, seal ring material was hanging out on one, and one was pretty moist inside. I have a couple of questions if someone can help me:

1. The bulbs are GE #1195. My Cub was a 12v conversion when I bought it. Can anyone confirm that these are 12v bulbs?

2. Does anyone have any experience on locating replacement seal gaskets? C&G doesn't have them.

3. I notice the reflectors are easily scuffed, even with a soft rag with Windex. Any suggestions on cleaning/polishing them?

4. The housings and rings look like excellent candidates for the electrolysis cleaning tank. Will it damage the copper fittings though?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:56 pm

I see the old style headlight gaskets in my O.E.M. catalog for $4.25 each. You should NOT put Brass,Copper or aluminum in the electrolysis tank.
Then came Bronson

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:18 pm

To restore light reflectors we sandblast them clean, then paint with a spray can of chrome paint (model paint). Put a garbage bulb in the socket so you don't paint over the contacts. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:33 am

I have a two of the IH front gaskets still in the package. I think they were $7 a piece. If you are interested send me a PM.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:41 am

My dad ordered the ring gaskets from our local dealer about three weeks ago and I have the Case/IH part # for them...I'll have it for you by the end of the day. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:21 pm

For headlamps I use vacuum tubing or perhaps it was windshield washer tubbing It works great in place of the origional gaskets. The tubing being round makes a good seal, touching the glass, reflector, outer light shell and the clamp when assembled. It is squished just enough to make a good seal. It took stops at a couple of auto parts stores before I found the right size hose.

Before I started using the vacuum tubing I had ordered some cub headlamp gaskets from a place and what arrived was flat rubber washers instead of the origional T shaped ones. I complained and they were quite snippy saying nobody else complained and they fill the space between reflector and glass... They might do that but they didn't seal between the housing and the reflector at all. They finally refunded my money. I think they charged over $3 each.

Greg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:44 pm

I got my gaskets from OEM, they fit great.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:16 pm

The Case/IH part # for the gasket is 53527D. This part may not officially be for a cub, but it works. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:34 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:The Case/IH part # for the gasket is 53527D. This part may not officially be for a cub, but it works. 8)

Bud that #(53527D) is the same part number as in the OEM catalog and it will fit 8 different models.
Then came Bronson

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:04 pm

I measured the vacuum tubing I use and it is 1/4 inch ouside diameter and about 7/64 inside diameter. Each light takes 15 inches. I wouldn't trade it for the origionals if someone gave them to me at this point, it works that good. Just my 2 cents.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:22 pm

Chris, I like the simple approach. Did you just butt the ends, or angle cut them? I'd like to give it a try -
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:07 am

I butt the ends and put them at the bottom of the light when installed. I noticed one of the dryed and cracked T shaped origionals was actually stapled to make it a loop. Don't know if that is normal or not but it looks like the origionals had a joint too. I figure if water gets in it the joint at the bottom, and I always put the clamp joint at the bottom, will let the water seep out.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:57 am

Here is what I do.

I put Spae Nauer Ring Terminals, crimped on the ends. I then take me soldering iron and solder the connection. Then I cover the connection with shrink tube. Not exactly original, but sure keeps the moisture out. For added protection use Fluid Film, it is silicone based but works real well in keeping moisture out. Antenna firms use it up here on co-ax etc., to extend the life span of the joint.

Works for me :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”