This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil temperature

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

oil temperature

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:30 pm

A member of the list (I forgot who) asked me to post temperature readings for my cub since I started to run the blenedd synthetic oil in it. My test cub is a 48 that was overhauled 17 years ago and is a working tractor. It is beginning to get a little blow by and to use a little oil. Also the oil pressure when hot was beginning to get fairly low. It was about 18 pounds at full throttle and 3 pounds at idle. While this is pretty low, the old timers accepted wisdom was if you had any oil pressure when hot at idle was ok. I installed Castrol Syntec Blended 20w50. The hot oil pressure now is 25 at full throttle and 9 at idle. Blow by is almost non existant.

I worked it for about 45 minutes mowing at full throttle in 2nd. Air temperature was 90 degrees.

Coolant in top of radiator was 200
bottom casting temp was 121
bottom pipe going to engine was 135
rear of oil filter housing was 167
side of oil pan was 174
side of touch control was 128

This was my second set of readings. I had taken some earlier before I realized there was trash in the radiator. Those readings were approximately 10 degrees higher across the board except for the top of the radiator. It was approximately 200 both times.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:57 pm

John,

What did you measure those temperature with :?: :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Infrared thermometer from Radio Shack (22-325)
Got it on sale about 2 years ago for $30

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:42 pm

Does your IR pyrometer have adjustable emissivity or is it fixed :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:58 pm

Since I'm not familiar with what you are referring to, and there are no instructions for any adjustments, I assume it is fixed.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:18 pm

John,

Some IR pyrometers have an adjustment for emissivity. Emissivity correction is needed to get accurate measurements when using an IR pyro on different surfaces and color. A flat black surface will indicate a different temp than a bright shiney surface at the same temp.

All this doesn't mean a flip for what you're doing, the temps taken are just a reference. Sure shows that the cooling system on these old Cubs works well.

Sorry I was just bored :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:22 pm

Donny M wrote:Does your IR pyrometer have adjustable emissivity or is it fixed :?:

:twisted: I heered once that the bestus way to get rid of that adjustable emissivity was to feed it some chocolate candy medicine. Fergot the name of it but I recall it being called Ex-sumpin. :censored:
Then came Bronson

BAMACUB'ER
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BAMACUB'ER » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:48 am

I R pyrometer are great for finding blockage, or a injector skipping diesel engine.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:32 am

Donny M wrote:John,

Some IR pyrometers have an adjustment for emissivity. Emissivity correction is needed to get accurate measurements when using an IR pyro on different surfaces and color. A flat black surface will indicate a different temp than a bright shiney surface at the same temp.

I assumed that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. The instructions tell you that if it is a reflective surface such as a shiny radiator cap to put a piece of masking tape on it and give it a little time to reach the same temperature, then read the tape.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:44 pm

Hi all:wink:
As for oil pressure when we were building race engines for th 67 bug one of the big race builders parts bucks said you need 10psi per 1000 rpm's any more and you were just wasting horsepower. And way too much pressure would foam the oil and wash out bearings.

On the plus side just got done cutting a 2 acre pasture. Amasing how much more power there is with new idler pullys those old worn out bearings just suck up power. 8)
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

crowman17
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16159

Postby crowman17 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:31 pm

John *.?-!*cub,

Thanks for information on castrol I have allis C (sorry not cub) with same problem of low oil pressure put 20-w50 gained 3-4 lbs running hot while cutting grass.

Marc

Return to “Farmall Cub”