This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not a Cub, but interesting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Not a Cub, but interesting

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:42 pm

Guys,

This week, I cut my one acre wheat plot with my 1944 IH 52R combine. I pulled it with my '57 Farmall 450. I thought you might like to see....

This combine could be PTO equipped, or you could get a Y-69 Continental power unit, which mine has. THe Cub connection: First, with this engine, and assuming the ground was flat and not muddy, you could combine with a CUB! :D Second, this engine is >>about<< the same size as a C-60, it's a flathead but unlike the Cub it uses an H-4 IH mag, and it has NO oil filter!!! :shock: Finally, late in 52R production, it used the CUB engine instead of the Continental! I am >>>>HOPING<<<< to have my Cub-powered combine running next year!

Hope you like the pictures
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:49 pm

:P _ Al, Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures & interesting._ :P
Then came Bronson

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:58 pm

I use to tie the Millers knot at 12 years old on my Dads 42R combine pulled from the power take of on a Super A. I remember cutting Milo which made very heavy sacks since we used 200lb. Fertlizer burlap bags. He traded that rusted out combine for a IH home freezer.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:03 pm

Al:

Great pics and a nice Cub connection too! We will look forward to completion and pics of your Cub Combine...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:09 pm

Ok Jim,

What's a Millers knot :?: :?:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:02 am

Jim Hudson wrote:I use to tie the Millers knot at 12 years old on my Dads 42R combine pulled from the power take of on a Super A. I remember cutting Milo which made very heavy sacks since we used 200lb. Fertlizer burlap bags. He traded that rusted out combine for a IH home freezer.

Jim,

I think I know what a miller's knot is, but I can't tie one....I tie the bags like tying your shoes. :oops:

How'd your Super A do with the 42R?? I have one of those also, a sacker. Been using it somewhat as a parts machine, ran it once with the 230 and it did ok. If my Super A was back together I would rather combine with it, as long as the ground isn't wet.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:20 am

Dad did not want his sacks comming untied and spilling out so he taught me how to tie like a miller would. I guess a miller is the guy who runs the hammer mill making feed or flower.
This is a close relative of the clove hitch and is used in tying sacks with heavy string or cord. Note that the first turn around the sack leads over the forefinger and the others pass under all fingers.
The Super A pulled it find but it was in like new condition. It was less than a few year old. O! that knot will not come untied!!!

Miller's Knot
Form an Overhand Loop around the end of a bag. Wrap the running end around the bag a second time and pull it through the first Overhand Loop as shown. Cinch the knot tight.

The Miller's Knot was named for its use by millers to tie off sacks of grain.Image
Young man for work, old man for advice

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:28 am

Jim,

I forgot to mention, this 52R came from Durham, bought it from the second owner. My Cub-52R came from Iowa. My first pull combine was the 42R and I bought it out of Raleigh, man I bought it from was the second owner and said he bought it from a man in Chatham County, NC.

I think my Super A and Cub-52R will make a neat pair, they would be close in age.

Al

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:37 am

When I first scrooled down I saw the knot and said that's a clove hitch. Not quite...Very simular though. A clove hitch tied around a tube will pull out if you don't put a saftey in it. Learned that the hard way. :oops: Cost lots of $$$$$$. The Miller's knot looks like it wouldn't pull out as it appears self tightening.

Return to “Farmall Cub”