This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what make s a "super? a "super"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
68427vette
10+ Years
10+ Years

what make s a "super? a "super"

Postby 68427vette » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 am

what make s a super a super?

boy i need to get some books... there on there way...
Looking to buy any WWII stuff!! jeeps, armor, anything wwii, or Korean,, I am envolved with the veterans and do many parades with my Halftrack, and other WW2 trucks,, and i like tractors, if you find anything send pics to me at jefferychester@yahoo.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 am

more horsepower and heavier in weight and made different years :wink: the A was rated at I think 17 hp and the Super was 20. The A weighes around 1870 lbs and the super is around 2360. There was also a difference in the size of the front tires to I believe when they came out. I am sure Jim Becker can shed some good light on this subject :D :D

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 am

Also hydraulics on the SA. I don't think the A had factory hydraulics. Dan

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Pony Master » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

There were quite a few cosmetic changes as well.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 am

Ditto to what Dan said -- hydraulics being the biggest visibile difference. Later Super A's also went to the 123 engine after a certain serial#.
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Postby Andrew Z » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 am

The main diffrence is having hydros. As for the horsepower all they did to get a couple of horse out of it was turn up the gov. a few hundered RPMs. Very Very late Super A's actually Super A1's had the 123. They had the same horsepower they lowered the RPMs to adjust. Rear tires are the same size 9.5x24's the front were changed to loop style and 5.00x15's. Fenders were heaver to have the rear rocker arms attatch to them. Final drives were heaver in the latter ones too.

Andrew
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 pm

I may be reading Jeff's question wrong but I read it as what makes a "super" model tractor a "super" as opposed to the standard models.

I.E. - What makes a super H a super H, or a super M a super M etc.

The different models had various differences such as slightly larger engine displacement, disc brakes, hydraulics etc. So it really makes a difference which model tractor you are looking at.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who read it that way and I'm out here on this limb all by myself. Anyway, I've been there before. If I could only quit sawing it off behind me...................
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 pm

OK let me see if I can fix this..... :?

The BIGGEST difference between the A and Super A was the availability of Touch Control hydraulics. It was technically an option. This change included heavier fenders to mount the upper rockshaft on the back.

The earliest Super A's were basically unchanged mechanically. Some induction hardened parts were gradually phased in.

I don't think the horsepower was ever increased at least not during regular Super A production. Some sources state the Super A actually lost a few HP compared to the A due to the drag of the Touch Control pump. Also the 123 engine was not used until the Super A-1's. There were some subtile block changes so that the blocks could be interchangable between several machines but that was about it. The regular Super A engine was always 113 CID.

Tire size options were unchanged between the A and Super A. The "loop" front rims were options for the A, just like the Super A. They were not new with the introduction of the Super A. My Super A has the old non-adjustable front rims, just like many A's, from the factory.

Cosmetic changes were almost nil. Different instrument panel, and IH emblem on the front grille instead of FARMALL. Decals changed slightly in 1949 and again in 1951 to reflect the rest of the Farmall family.

Of course there were lots of minor running changes/improvements during the production of both models. The point is there was very, very little difference between the 1947-early 1948 Super A and the last 1947 Farmall A.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:53 am

Super-A: I assumed that all SA came with TC, that it was not an option. But it sounds like there may be some SA which never had hydraulics? Dan

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:01 am

Dan England wrote:Super-A: I assumed that all SA came with TC, that it was not an option. But it sounds like there may be some SA which never had hydraulics? Dan

Yes. Touch Control was officially an option. Most of them were automatically ordered with it though. I have seen with my own eyes one Super A without it. It was sitting in salvage but you could tell it never had TC--there was a plate where the hydraulic pump went and a bracket similar to the A Farmall to hold the gas tank up....IIRC it was a fairly early Super A too.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 am

It's funny that you mention the "optional" TC on the Super A. I saw what I thought was an "A" sitting at our local GREEN tractor dealership in what sure looked like original clothes. The decal clearly said SUPER A on the front, but there were NO hydraulics on that tractor. I just chalked it up to someone putting the wrong decal on the tractor after an older paint job. The paint on this tractor was surely old, but I couldn't tell for sure whether it was original...

Guess, I will have to change my thinking as to whether it really was a Super A or not...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:It's funny that you mention the "optional" TC on the Super A. I saw what I thought was an "A" sitting at our local GREEN tractor dealership in what sure looked like original clothes. The decal clearly said SUPER A on the front, but there were NO hydraulics on that tractor. I just chalked it up to someone putting the wrong decal on the tractor after an older paint job. The paint on this tractor was surely old, but I couldn't tell for sure whether it was original...

Guess, I will have to change my thinking as to whether it really was a Super A or not...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

In all likelyhood it was an A with Super A decals. That seems to happen a lot. The bolts are "backwards" on the implement mounting pads on the clutch housing on an A. The serial number is always the best way--anything over 250001 and it's a Super A.

Al

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:46 am

The A did not have a flat spot on the torque tube to bolt the touch control to, and I believe there was no place to mount the pump on the engine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:34 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The A did not have a flat spot on the torque tube to bolt the touch control to, and I believe there was no place to mount the pump on the engine.

I've been told that some very late A's had the spot for the TC pump. Never taken the time to look myself.

Al

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 pm

BIG DOG!! I am with you on the first question!!--That's the way I thought it read, too! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”