This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just got another project tractor off Ebay

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Just got another project tractor off Ebay

Postby welderrx » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:07 pm

I just bought a cub off of Ebay without hydraulics, were all cub engine blocks fitted with the drive for a hydraulic pump? I don't know anything about this tractor other than what the picture shows, but if I can save it I want to make an adaptor to run a hydro pump off the accessory drive to power my wagner loader on it and use it just for a loader tractor. I would like a dedicated loader tractor to leave at the house and use the other one for all my other little jobs, because the tractor won't fit on my smaller trailer with the loader installed. I will keep you guys posted when I get it home, T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Welderrx, I was looking at that tractor on Ebay, congratulations. Hopes it gives you many years of service.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:25 am

Only cubs with hydro touch sytems came with the pumps. If your cub doesn't have the hydro touch system on it, chances are the pump is not there.

Do you have a loader made to fit a cub or is it home-made :?: Because of it's size, the cub is not a very good choice as a loader tractor. The front-end can not tolerate alot of weight.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:44 am

The engine block should have a cover that can be removed where you can install a hydraulic pump.
Then came Bronson

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:10 pm

The loader I have is Wagner tubing frame type made just for the cub. It was on my 52 in 54 when my uncle bought it, I took it off about 2 years ago because one of the pistons was wiped out. I do miss it though it sure made cleaning out the calf barn a lot easier. The problem is that the wheels need to be all the way out for the loader to be on for tire clearance on the loader frame and also for stability, and the tractor is then to wide for my smaller trailer, which is a lot more manueverable than my tandem axle tilt bed is. I had hoped that the engine on the new tractor had a pump drive on it, I will machine an adaptor for a hydraulic pump for it as this will only be a loader tractor , the other cub has the fast hitch and will do all the other cub work. We have a 4x4 Kubota and an older case S model with a hough loader for the bigger jobs around the place. I will try and post some pic's when I pick it up next week. T.J.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:19 pm

Hey TJ:

What is the chance to get some pics of your sprayer and such? Be real interested to see what that sprayer is like!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderrx » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 pm

Hey Rudi, I havent had the sprayer on in a few years, It is a very nasty thing to use as you seem to end up with most of the chemical on you and not on the tree's, and most of the hoses need replacing, as they are mostly around 40 years old and hold back quite a bit of pressure, my uncle got it from the local implement dealer who was assembling them out of off the shelf parts in the 60's. Lo-boy's with woods or Danco mowers were really popular around here for orchard work and he sold a lot of them for the purpose of spraying fruit trees. My uncle used it on the cub with an old beer keg for a tank on a bracket on the fast hitch carrying platform. The last time I remember it getting a lot of use was about 15 or 20 years ago we had a real bad tent catapillar infestation, my Dad and my uncle messed around with different tips and played with the regulator and got it so they could soak down a nest almost 40 feet up in the Oak tree's. They had some kind of homebrewed peticide in it and worked really well at killing the caterpillars, but I wonder how many years they took off of their lives breathing that junk in! If I get a chance I will put it on the tractor for a picture it is pretty neat looking, but I can't find the keg or the bracket they either got turned into some other project or the chemical they used might have eaten it up behind the shed! The sprayer got replaced by a backpack sprayer and most of the orchard is long gone anyway for the new pole barn. T.J.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderrx » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:04 pm

Well I got a good look at the tractor today it is looking like it's gonna be a parts machine. The block is cracked at the right front flange , nothing is definite yet but it doesn't look promising. T.J.

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LARRY BALL » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:33 am

WHY CAN'T YOU HAVE THE BLOCK WELDED? A GOOD "OLD TIME" WELDER THATS FAMILIAR WITH OLDER EQUIPMENT AND CAST IRON.
LARRY BALL

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderrx » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:39 pm

Hi Larry, I use a machine shop a lot at work that specializes in repairing cracked aluminum and cast Iron cylinder heads, he has saved a lot of parts for me over the years but he hates to work on something that someone else has tried to fix before, I am not totally sure without more examination but I think I see traces of nickel rod weld showing through the paint. If he can grind it out he can fix it but at this point it would start to get expensive and another block might be the way to go. I still would want the rest of the machine work done and it could top a grand real easy, I am going to pickle this one for long term storage anyway but I might pull the engine and put it in the back of the shop for a rainy day teardown to determine the future of the tractor. T.J.

Return to “Farmall Cub”