This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical issues....1951 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fireman27089
10+ Years
10+ Years

Electrical issues....1951 Cub

Postby fireman27089 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi, Gang!!

I just wanted to throw this problem out there, because I'm at a loss...

My cub rarely starts without having to charge the battery, and at times, will run for 2 to 3 minutes, then stall. On other days, it will start, and as long as I'm using/driving it, it will run forever. I cannot get any of the lights to work, although the fuse is good. While running at idle, the ammeter reads 0 to -5, at higher rpms it reads +10 to +13. Other than what I believe to be an electrical/ignition problem, it runs very well....no smoke, dosen't miss, and has full power. On a good day, I can easily start the thing with the hand crank.

Any thoughts???

Bruce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:22 pm

Your ammeter readings while running indicate that the system is charging. But, since you must charge the battery before starting, I'd say there is something draining the battery when it is not running. How old is the battery? The overall easiest thing would be to replace the wiring harness and re-check the grounds. Will the tractor re-start right after shutting it down? If so, does the battery sound weak?
I don't think the stalling problem is related to the charging problem.
On the lights, you need to check to see if the voltage is getting to the lights. If it is, check the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

fireman27089
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fireman27089 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:10 pm

Thanks for the idea....

The battery is two years old. I bought it whenI "inherited" this tractor from the mother-in-law. I kinda thought that it might be bad as well, but given the relative age of the battery, and the fact that the lights were working one day, then not working the next time I used the tractor, I figured that it was just some sort of electrical gremlin. Your questions also make me think that it is the battery the more I mull the problem over in my dusty little mind - I ususally disconnect the ground cable (on the battery) when I am not using the tractor, so that any grounding issues can be circuvented and the tractor will start when I need it. Lately, this has not been working, and the battery is still dead...after having been disconnected.

As for the wiring harness....any thought as to where I might get one? About how much do they run? Also...what is the little box that is mounted above the generator...the metal "cap" fell off of the housing, and is now just sitting on it to keep out the rain.

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:37 pm

fireman, The battery drainage problem could be the voltage regulator sticking also.......possibly the little square box with two coils of wire inside?
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Splicer has a good point. The loose cover on the cut-out or regulator may be the problem. Since it's already loose, someone may have had problems with the regulator in the past.
Bigdog

fireman27089
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fireman27089 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:21 pm

Again, Thanks for the tips. It all is starting to make a little more sense to me now....if the regulator was/has been sticking, the repeated charge and discharging of the battery would have eventually taken it's toll, and killed the battery for good. I should have tested the darn thing from the get go, but having just moved here from MI, i didn't really have the room nor the time to bring all of my tools and toys here, so I had no way to test the battery, or any of the elec. sys. for that matter. Do you think that there is any chance that the regulator malfunction could have affected the generator in any way, or should it still (theoretically) be ok as long as the ammeter showed charge?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:51 am

I don't think it has harmed the generator at all. It is charging as it should. It just needs to be regulated and the current drain source needs to be corrected.
Bigdog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:06 am

Welcome to the Forum and to the Cub Family. Inherited Cubs are great. They usually have interesting histories to them and of course the family connection is pretty nice too!

BD gave you some real good advice. When it comes to electrical he da man!

As for your second question on wiring harnesses. You can go two ways, but I do not know what it would cost either way.

First, what year is your Cub?, as that will determine what harness is needed. Apparently there are 8 different harnesses available. You probably can get the wiring harness through your CaseIH Dealer, or http://www.casetractorparts.com. You can also get them from maloybig@msn.com, which is also listed under Specialty Suppliers link on the Manual Server main page. Lloyd can tell you which harness you need.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Wireharness
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wireharness » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:17 am

If your Generator has a metal box mounted on top of it you have a Cut out relay and a pre 1950 tractor.

Cut out relays did not go bad to often however if the cover is gone it probably has dirt in it and then they will stick and drain the battery.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:52 am

fireman27089 wrote:
, and the battery is still dead...after having been disconnected.

I would start with a new Battery the see how charging system is
working as you unhook the batt. and it is still going dead it sounds to me that the batt. is junk.
The lights how ever should still light even if the charging system is
not working as they would use the batt.
It sounds like your charging system is working as 0 -5 at low idle
is not that unusual.
If it were mine I would start with a new batt. & please don't buy the cheapest as they don't last as long. ( you get what you pay for).
Then check every connection for broken wires & contact then ck. the grounds again.
More elect. problems on these cub's are due to ground prob's than
almost anything else.
PS: don't for get the older cuds were + ground not - ground.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”