This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub exhaust

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubkid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub exhaust

Postby cubkid » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:09 pm

hello...I just want to forewarn all users of this board that I'm a teenager and learning about tractors...so if I ask dumb questions, please dont get too angry :D

ok...my question about cub exhaust. I was wondering if the Cub exhaust on the Farmalls/mcCormick deering cubs before the Lo Boy were stack exhausts? I once saw a Cub personally (an old one, not lo boy) and it had the exhaust go down and back under the Pto and in that area. Just wondering. If I see some on ebay, I usually see the stacks...I know the 70s lo boys by IHC had the low exhausts...I believe. Oh yeah, one more question. Any difference in motor/HP between the original Cubs and the later IHC Lo Boys 154 184 and 185? and whats the difference between the 154/184/185? Would those be just as good as buying a Farmall Cub?

thanks and SORRY for so many questions..I just love tractors.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:37 pm

cubkid
I am impressd already I was three times your age beore I got the bug.
I am learning my cub one piece at a time and can spend hours on one little job at a time,to accomplish it. I hope you can get one soon you will enjoy it and how well they work for their age. BTW there is no such thing as a dumb question. 8) 8) :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:46 pm

The early cubs had vertical exhaust, but the underslung exhaust was an option. The lo-boys were underslung.
Later cubs such as the number series put out a few more HP, mostly due to carb changes and higher rpm ratings. There were some other changes. The number series cubs have many similarities to their older cousins. But I think they are a different animal.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:57 pm

Cubkid,
You could get the exhaust either way. In Wisconsin where I live all of the exhaust pipes went up through the hood on the regular Cubs. A friend of mine from western Missouri actually took a picture of a Cub with the exhaust through the hood because he had never seen one before.
Many options seem to be seen in certain areas of the country depending on people's choice or what local dealer thought would sell better.
My regular Cubs all have the upright exhaust. All of my French built Cubs and Super Cubs have the underslung exhaust and my low boys have under slung exhaust. My Industrial Cub has under slung exhaust. I do not know of any Lowboys with verticle exhaust but that doesn't mean that IH didn't build any that way.
The later lo-boys did have more horse power. The American Cub basically had 10 HP at the belt, The French Cubs had 11 HP, The French Super Cub 12HP, 154 had 18 HP, 184 had 20 HP, and the 185 had 18 HP which is the same HP as a Farmall A model.

Ask all the questions you want. That's how I learned.

Regards,
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:14 am

And check out the FAQ. There's a link to it at the top of the page.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:01 pm

Mike,

I gather from a brochure I've got on the 184 that the 154, 184 and 185 were rated on engine hp while offset cubs were rated on drawbar hp.

The brochure reads:

The IH C-60 gasoline engine has been giving a stout heart to IH tractors for over 25 years--more life, more raw power and torque. It now develops a full 18.5 hp, plenty to handle a full selection of attachments for year around work.