This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

farm dog

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:38 pm

boldpsi wrote:also, Border Collies have laser-eyes!

This allows them to see through barn walls. Mine ride with me all the time and when they spot a Cub in a barn their tail sticks straight in the air and points in the direction of the Cub. This is more sure-fire than sophisticated new technology.

Here you can see Flash as she checks a barn for Cubs.
Of course with condition of the walls on this particular barn anybody with normal vision can see through them.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

All awome advice...

Postby Uncle Mike » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 pm

All great advice, but I really don't need the dog that is smarter then me! and the LASER EYES, could be an issue with the little woman.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Okay, forget all that other stuff. The Border Collie is a friendly all around dog. They keep the critters out, they like to play (and play and play) and they let you know when some one is in your drive. Ours will lay out by the garden when we're out there just to keep an eye on things. If I'm splitting wood or working on a Cub, one of them is laying close by as if to say "I got your back covered". One just likes to lay at our feet when we sit around the campfire.

I still vote for a Border.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:21 am

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/samoyed.htm

I have had four of these dogs, and those that have been to DOCFEST have been around two of them. The most gentle dogs to be around, unless you are a deer. Highly intelligent, loves the exercise, easily trained.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Labs are the best .Stay clear of the male dogs. They run. Bailed him twice from the pound. Pulled a Hudini. We have a female spayed, never leaves the yard. We had Collies for the first 12 years of our young married life, They are exceptional dogs as well, However we could never enjoy a Thunderstorm,Forth Of July without the constant High pitched howl, Hated that
:evil:
We have had Labs now for about 13 yrs and love them. Never had one Bite
Yet, But not to say the won't ever.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

The Bachelor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby The Bachelor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:24 am

I got a pound puppy. Looks like a bird dog with weiner dog legs. Great Dog!! Keeps cattle busy when I need em busy and leaves em alone otherwise. Comes when called and lives to ride in the pickup bed. Just get one and train em like you want em.

Never thought he would ever come out of his point the first time he saw the chickens though.
Brad Bachelor

"Loving an old bachelor is always a no-win situation, and you come to terms with that early on, or you go away.”
-- Jean Harris

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Dog came home...

Postby Uncle Mike » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:35 am

So the cat disapears and I start to notice dog prints in the snow. After a couple of days later the can food disapears, and I follow some tracks around, but can't find the dog. I finally spot the dog three days later, laying down in the snow. She is a black lab mix. We get it over to the house, and it gets a couple of steak bones. Turns out to be well trained, wants to please and has no identification, and does not want in the house.
I advertised that we had her, and have not heard back from anyone.
She would not get into a car at first, so I think she may well have been dumped.
Best part of the deal... will spot deer, bark at deer, and chase deer if told to.

Oh, I found the cat in a stump pile, stranded by two feet of snow, and full of mice.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:15 am

My vote would be for the English Shepard also. Had one as a youngster and was undoubtably the smartest of many dogs that I have owned. Pete

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:23 pm

What about a australian blue heeler, they could heard your cattle for you. :D
Free Blue heelers

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Brandon Webb silverta16 wrote:What about a australian blue heeler, they could heard your cattle for you. :D
Free Blue heelers

///////////////////////

Equal to the Border Collie I would say Brandon is right on target. I may be bias because I love all the Heelers I have had including My present one. They are one smart lovable dog that can amuse children for infinity. :)
Then came Bronson

magicman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magicman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:23 am

well i havent seen any other replies on the english shepard.I have one that i have had for a few years now.i have had some pretty good dogs before,but she is one of the smartest dogs i have ever seen.she is very gentle with people all around grown and kids alike.she is very loyal,i wouldnt take a farm in Ga.for her.she is the only english shepard i have ever been around but if they all is as good as her that is the breed for me

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:26 pm

I vote for Luisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog :o Wow, thats a mouthfull. I got Punkin for my farm dog.The wienie-dog and jack russel are older-fatter- and lazy and won't go out in the wet and cold. Can we say worthless.

Punkin is 6 mo old now. Bred to have natural herding instinct. Smartest dog I ever saw. She was fetching and retrieving at 10 weeks. She has a nose like a hound. She loves to herd the horses when I want them-She seems to know where and when before I tell her. Loves to play and wrestle with the barn cats.

She is very gentle, but still very energetic. But you WILL NOT come on the property without me knowing it. We have a fence collar on her to keep her back of the front of the house(busy road). But she wont go to the barn without me.

That is her as my avitar.

Dale

oh yeah, she don't like Elmo-no place to ride! Yet

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Hershey

Postby flyawa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 pm

I've always been partial to German Shepherd Mix. Rocky, our last one got in trouble with a neighbor by wandering through his pasture.

Here's a shot of our latest farm dog. He's my first Lab and so far he's been very quick to learn. Quite loyal and very friendly. Does have a huge appetite though.

Last night he and our other dog Byron the Black Cocker Spaniel trapped a fairly large Bobcat in the pond. I heard the ruckus and came with a light to find they had chased him over the pond dam and the Bobcat took a swim. When he would try to get to shore they'd go into the attack mode and he would have to go back out a ways. He soon was getting hypothermic and was choking on swallowed water so I called the dogs off and let him come ashore.

Last seen he was departing this county at a high rate of speed :arrow: :twisted: :shock: Image
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Here's the great part... everyone loves the dog they have. That says a lot about the dog owners as well as the dogs!

We still miss our golden retriever, Reba. Thanks to PWL we have Marlee, a chocolate lab and we've developed a really strong tie. She tolerates us very well. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 pm

I may be out of line but I dont mean to be, first of all the breed of dog , a mut aint bad. You need to get a puppy and train it. A dog is like a child it want raise itself
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”