This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diesel fuel to clean trans?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Diesel fuel to clean trans?

Postby Tom Evans » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I've read that filling the trans with diesel fuel and shifting throught the gears for a short time is a good way to clean the transmission. I've replaced all the axle and PTO seals and I'm ready to add the gear lube. The transmission looked faily clean when I had the PTO plates off. Can this procedure do any damage?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:21 pm

I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just make sure you don't put a load on the tractor by pulling something while the diesel fuel is in the transmission. Drive the tractor around for a minute or two then drain. The small amount of diesel left in the case will mix with the gear oil. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:57 pm

Tom
I have used diesel in car engines after blowing a head gasket.To clean antifreeze and dirty oil out . But not letting the engine start.Put new oil in run it for awhile and changed the oil agian. :)

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tranny Flush

Postby Ricaroo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:18 am

I did it to my 1939 Farmall A but I put half gear lube and half diesel fuel, I ran it for about 10 min. (no load). I found that the tranny makes a lot of noise now. I think the years of build up compensated for wear.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:38 am

In our Oliver 880 service manual it suggests to do this, We did it when we changed the brakes and had it all cleaned out, I actually used jet fuel, since it is basically kerosene and is what we burn in the diesels. Just run it without load through the gears. I am planning on doing the cub and the C too. I wont swear to it, but i think it cleaned the tractor pretty good because some nasty suff came out of there that doesn't with normal changes.

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LARRY BALL » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 am

ON MY FIRST CUB I FILLED THE ENGINE CRANKCASE WITH DIESEL FUEL AND THEN REMOVED THE COIL WIRE. AFTER LETTING IT STAND FOR SEVERAL DAYS I PUT IN A FRESH BATTERY AND PROCEEDED TO SPIN THE ENGINE OVER. AFTER ABOUT THIRTY MINUTES I PULLED THE OIL FILTER AND WASHED THE CAVITY OUT, THEN PULLED THE DRAIN PLUG. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT CAME OUT! IT LOOKED LIKE MUD. I PUT IN A NEW FILTER AND BOUGHT SOME MOBIL "ONE" OIL. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LARRY BALL

Return to “Farmall Cub”