This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mesh for grill on 61 Model

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mesh for grill on 61 Model

Postby David » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:36 pm

Anybody know a source for the mesh (screen) for the grill on a 61 model? Was this different to that on the earlier models? Seems like there are bunch of people that cell the mesh for an earlier model, but can't find anyone that sells the mesh for later models.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:34 pm

Hi David

I have a 61 and took the mesh off and thought this looks like a piece of what I call hardware cloth, I had some left over from another job and it looks just the same. I think the sqaures are 1/4 inch. I have some problems so I have not put mine back together yet. Some folks may call in 1/4 inch square spaced chiken wire, I don't know, but at a hardware I worked at I cut hundreds of pieces of it for folks and we sold it as hardware cloth. Paul K. in N.H.

David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby David » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:46 pm

Paul -- thanks. I agree 1/4" squares - same on mine. Thanks for the lead to the hardware store. Seems like all I could think of was a more expensive solution. What do they use hardware cloth for? David

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Hi David

Some folks use it to make rabbit cages, they may use larger squares on the bottom so the waste can fall through to a tray or to the ground and be cleaned up. Some folks use it to keep rodents out of places, maybe over something glass that has been broken more than once by a baseball or basketball, as long as it is not going to trap someone from getting out if they needed to. I don't know if we need to clean it down with anything before we paint it as it may have a oil film on it from manufacturing, not sure. Paul K in N.H.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:17 pm

David
The mesh on the earlier cubs is a double weave with 3/16 squares,I have to get it special made .In fact I am waiting for some now,very expensive,I use it to make the older grilles.I believe yours is a different type from what I have seen. :)

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:54 pm

I looked at a '47 grill last weekend. an original, i believe, from the tips Jim Becker has alerted us to, etc. it was on a serial number in the 4100 region and was a much SMALLER mesh size than normal. someone told the owner that it was a '47 only mesh size.

anyone have anything to support that? :?: i don't believe i've read anything on this board about it.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:14 pm

Art,

The early '47 had a finer mesh screen, but it was changed to what later became the standard during the year. I think the original mesh was 8/inch and was changed to 5/inch... for reasons I have always thought were silly. As far as I know, all screens from then on were 5/inch unless the screen has been replaced. I'm guilty of replacing some with standard 1/4" hardware cloth (4/inch), but I don't think IH ever used it.

Steinertractorparts.com is one place that sells the 5/inch screen... but it is pricey.

My early '47 had the fine screen grille.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:37 pm

[quote="George Willer"]

The early '47 had a finer mesh screen, but it was changed to what later became the standard during the year.
I think the original mesh was 8/inch and was changed to 5/inch... for reasons I have always thought were silly.

George ya got me curious now. What was the reason the mesh size was changed that you considered silly. :?: I always wondered if it was an air-flow problem by clogging easier but that was only a guess thought that had skimmed through my mind. :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:03 pm

Bronson,

Yes, that what I have always heard... the fine screen plugged too easily and restricted air flow. So... provide a coarser screen so the stuff can pass through and plug the radiator core instead. Now, to clean it, the grille must be removed. It always seemed silly to me.

Air flow was also the reason I've heard for discontinuing what most of us consider the nicest looking grille.
George Willer

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:38 pm

George, I agree with you on that being a silly reason. It seems that cleaning the screen makes more sense than having to remove it to clean the radiator. I think I know where one of those fine mesh grilles are on an old piece of unused rusty piece of equipment. I-H Combine or? but it has a Cub power unit on it that somebody stole the carb off of.
Then came Bronson

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:01 pm

Turkey wire grill

Young man for work, old man for advice

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:41 am

George Willer wrote:Air flow was also the reason I've heard for discontinuing what most of us consider the nicest looking grille.

I never heard anything either way but always assumed the later screen was stiffer and less prone to getting bend up. Never tried bending them to test the theory either.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:34 am

Jim Becker wrote:
George Willer wrote:Air flow was also the reason I've heard for discontinuing what most of us consider the nicest looking grille.

I never heard anything either way but always assumed the later screen was stiffer and less prone to getting bend up. Never tried bending them to test the theory either.

Jim,

I don't think that's the case. I sold mine 5 years ago, so I can't check it but just looked at Frobl's at Cub Fest. I think the wire size is the same and there is more of it, so the early one really should be stiffer. I did have to do a lot of body work on mine to get it straight and it seemed substantial, as I remember.
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”