This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A liitle help if possible

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill from Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

A liitle help if possible

Postby Bill from Md » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:35 pm

Hi all, new to forum, and will say upfront howdy, and thanks for all the help, and fellowship. Here is my dilema.........I have a yellow, and white cub that I purchased to cut my 5 acre meadow 3 months ago. It smoked a little when I first drove it from the crankcase breather. The oil in it was filthy, and thin. I drained it, replaced the filter, and refilled the breather cup with sae 30. After about 10 hours I repeated the process. Now little by little the machine is smoking more, and now it is starting to smoke from the exhaust. it also is using about a quarter of a quart of oil every 10 hours of cutting grass.

Am I looking down the barrel of an engine overhaul???. I have heard several opinions of local folks which seem to conflict. what say some of you sage vets..........Thanks ............Bill
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:54 pm

Bill, I think a compression test will give you your answer. Run a dry test and follow it with a wet test. The difference between the two will tell you a lot. Either way, with the smoking symptoms you describe, I think a rebuild is in your future.
And welcome to the board!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

mike mix
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mike mix » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:00 pm

Here is something to try. A small tube runs from the engine block to the air cleaner tube on the left front of the engine. This tube provides a path to vent the engine crankcase, if blocked it can cause the problems you are having. When cleaning the tube you must also clean the fittings on the block and air cleaner as they can also be blocked.
Many of these tractors were never given tender loving care. The oil you drained out may have been in the tractor for many years. By changing the oil the new oil has started to clean all the old deposits from the engine that has kept it from using oil. If your Cub seems to have plenty of power try running with one can of STP in your oil until you can get the engine work done. I recently went through a Cub engine you can expect to spend about $1000.00 on parts and machine shop labor to bring it back to like new condition. Good Luck Mike

HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HART » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:30 am

WOW, CHICKENWING. I AM IMPRESSED WITH SIZE OF THOSE WEEDS CUT !! I HAVE HAD A 52 CUB FOR 30 YRS. NOW AND STILL HAVE TROUBLE WITH CARB. AND POWER PROBLEMS. I AM SLOW LEARNER I GUESS ! JUST HAD CARB. REBUILT, MOWED ABOUT 50' AND SPUTTERED AND JERKED ALONG LIKE IT DID BEFORE. SOMEONE ON THIS SITE SAID THE THROTTLE ROD AT THE YOKE TO GOVERNOR MIGHT NEED ADJUSTMENT. I TURNED IT ABOUT 1/4 INCH. AND HAVE MOWED 6 HRS. NOW WITH NO PROBLEM. CAN'T BELEIVE IT IS RUNNING THIS GREAT OR THAT LITTLE ADJUSTMENT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. IS THIS POSSIBLE ?? WHEN MY CUB IS NOT RUNNING MY WHOLE ATTITUDE IS MISERABLE (ACCORDING TO MY FAMILY). NOW I LIVE IN FEAR THAT THE CUB WILL START ACTING UP AGAIN !!!!!
AGAIN, ANYONE, COULD THE GOVERNOR BE THE PROBLEM ????? THANKS

Return to “Farmall Cub”