This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'48 Cub Project: Introduction and early help request

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

'48 Cub Project: Introduction and early help request

Postby F-I-T » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:38 pm

Hello!

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Frank, and I just bought a '40's Cub that I would like to fix up and use around my little horse farm here in Tallahassee, Florida. My maternal grandad had a Cub which he purchased new in '48, so I always wanted one near in age to that one.

The one I have appears to have sat outside and maybe near the ocean for quite a while. It has rust on every piece, and though it rolls, the engine is seized. I'm even having problems getting the headbolts loose without twisting off.

Anyway, the serial number is #24425, and I was wondering what year that might make it. I think it is a '48. Also, what's the best place to find the correct parts books, ops manuals, and service manuals. I've refurbed several tractors in the past, so I know I need to find a good dealer, and get those books before I go too far.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and tell you that I'll be needing a lot of help and advice as this is the first IH product I've had for quite a while. In fact, the last one I worked on was a 1206 back in '71, so this one is bit different in size!

Thanks in advance,
Frank-in-Tallahassee
'56 JD 70D // '90 JD 855 // '50 Case VAC // '48 IHC Cub "Boo-Boo" // '41 JD "H"
http://www.fboerger.com
F-I-T's webpage.....ALWAYS under construction !!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:50 pm

Welcome abourd. Your serial number would be a 48, though the grill is from a later model. Manuals can be purchased from your local dealer, or on lune from http://www.binderbooks.com. If you will read the new mwmbers sticky at the top of the page it will point you to a lot of good info that may save you a lot of typing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:00 pm

Welcome Frank. You have come to the right place for all information that is CUB 8)

What model is the Farmall tucked away in the corner behind the cub in the picture :?:

Your '48 cub reminds me of George Willer's cub Scruffy....they look enough alike that they may be related :!: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:49 pm

I'll guess a W-4.

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:58 pm

Oh, this photo came from the seller, so it's his shop. Not sure on the tractor in the background. I though it might be an "H", but I'm no expert.

Having a doozy of a time getting the head off. Head bolts are really in there!
Frank-in-Tallahassee

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:25 pm

Frank:

Take your time :!: :!: :!: Soak em well with your favourite penetrating oil such as Kroil or Solvo-Rust from Loctite. Use a good one. Otherwise you will end up having to drill out and re-tap the head bolt hole..... don't ask how I know :roll: :oops: :roll: :roll:

Far better to let the penetrating oil do it's thing than have to fix it afterwards. I know it can be frustrating to wait (I really have to get control of the urge to take things apart real quickly) but it really does pay off in the end.

Welcome to the Forum btw and the Cub Family :D :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:57 pm

Thanks Rudi.

I'm soaking things, but I'm afraid more than one is going to twist off. There appears to be lots of rust built up around the shank, and that's going to be hard to get oil down and into. I sure wish they were easier to get to, and I'd just cut them off and remove them after the head was off.

I'm sure this won't be the first thing to give me a headache on this one!

Ha!
Frank-in-Tallahassee

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:08 pm

Frank,

Nice to see your project. PB Blaster is a great product for rusted parts. Also a little heat from a propane torch will help.

The picture you posted looks a lot like another project on the board. The front tires look just like "Scruffy" - maybe a long lost relative.

Rudi's web site will be indispensible - good luck with your project.

Oscar.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Return to “Farmall Cub”