This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

serial numbers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety: Y

serial numbers

Postby brichter » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:26 pm

I am looking at a cub with the intention of buying it. The only serial number I can find is 1800. Could someone tell me what data this holds. The manufacture year, etc. thanks a lot.

Billy Ray

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:33 pm

If you are looking at the tag by the bottom end of steering shaft the 1800 would be the RPM rating not the serial number. The S/N would be on the same tag if readable.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:19 pm

Billy Ray:

First and foremost, Welcome to the Cub Forum and to the Cub Family :!: :D Great to have you aboard :!:

Couple things:

I would suggest that you read this - New Members and Visitors, Please READ

There is a ton of info contained in that particular thread that is of immense help to all new members. You may also want to read this - Cub FAQ's as it will give you a real good overview of the Cub you may purchase.

Oh, can't forget the Cub Manuals, which you can access by clicking on any of my posts - the link is in the signature line. Many of our members have bookmarked the page as they use it a lot :D which makes me very, very happy :D :D :D

Now to your question. JB is correct, that is just the RPM that the C-60 is rated at Max Idle. If you look at this -

you will see that the Model is an FCUB (standard Cub), the Serial Number is "168145-J", (the J indicates a Rockford Clutch versus and Auburn Clutch and is meant as an assist to the mechanics when determining which type of clutch to use without splitting the tractor).

Hope this helps you out a bit. Again, welcome to the Forum and to the Cub Family :!: Betcha can't just have one :!: :roll: :D :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:52 pm

Rudi, Reading your post made me look for the clutch letter (J) on my tag that is in my hand at the moment. Anyhoo there is no letter after 36275. So doe`s that mean mine has an Auburn clutch or is it that maybe they weren`t stamped on the earlier models?.
Then came Bronson

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:56 pm

I guess the other possiblity is that he actually has number 1800. Unlikely, but possible.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:37 pm

Johnbron, so far as I know, no letter means Auburn clutch. Missy (1949) had no letter, and had Auburn clutch, but my 48 had a J, and had Rockford clutch.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:49 pm

Interesting John, Now that makes me wonder why they used 2 different brand clutches in the same year models. Only reason that comes to mind would be supply & demand between Auburn and Rockford???.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:20 pm

JB:

I would tend to agree with John. If the whole rationale behind the Suffix Code was to differentiate between the Auburn and the Rockford, I would think that no suffix code means Auburn. This probably meant that the Auburn was the first clutch available for the Cub in pre-production as well as the early production Cubs and the Rockford was probably an improvement.

Granny did not seem to have the 'J' suffix so I would tend to think that she has the Auburn. I guess I will have to check in the morning as it is kind of dark out right now -- 11pm or 2300 for us ex-military types and in my area of the world - Zulu-4 would be 0300.

Guess that means if she does have the Auburn, I will quickly learn the differences between the Auburn and the Rockford if any.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:49 pm

Brichter

The serial number of your Cub could very well be 1800, and if so is was built in 1947.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:04 pm

Rudi, the differences are real obvious. the Auburn has the finger height adjustments under the end of the fingers at the outer edge rather than extending outward as you are familiar with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:11 pm

John:

Thanks, cleared that up!

Paul:

I really doubt that his serial number is 1800, be too coincidental. What he may want to do is to take some powdered graphite or chalk and rub it over the plate. Should bring out the numbers that were stamped in.
Last edited by Rudi on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:19 pm

Rudi:

I agree the #1800 he see's on his data plate may very well be the RPM rating of the tractor, but the point I was trying to make is that it is possible for him to have a tractor with the serial number of 1800, and if so it was built in 1947, which I believe is what he asked. I feel that to tell him, without seeing the data plate on his tractor, that the number 1800 is not the serial number of his tractor, was not a totally correct answer.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:46 pm

There is another way to figure out the year . Ther is a casting code on the block just under the carb . Ther should be a 6 digit date code on the block .For a 47 it should have xx xx Q for the last mark that would denote a 47 and just under the rear exaust port on the same side of the engine there should be a some numbers stamped on the flat boss. these should be the engine #s which I under stand were the same as the serial # in the early cubs . But since the same engines were used for the stationary power plants and the bailers the numbers were no longer the same as the serial numbers as the years went on .Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:39 pm

IH never attempted to keep engine and tractor numbers in sync. To have them the same would be purely coincidence. The very early tractors were generally fairly close.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:32 pm

Paul:

Yup, well said and that is what I understood. Be interesting to see what Billy Ray comes up with :D It would be a hoot if indeed his Serial Number was 1800 huh :?: :lol:

Figured I would pop in the jpeg courtesy of Jim, as an aide. I helps with figuring it out - I know it helped me when I first got Ellie....

Return to “Farmall Cub”