This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lowboy 154 Values?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Lowboy 154 Values?

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 am

What's an average price for a decent indoor kept 154 with the belly mower with caster wheels. Runs good, turf tires, it has all the pto shields and a drawbar. All the sheetmetal and grille are in excellent shape, guage panel and decals are good. Just a good used original? Thanks Brandon.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 am

Brandon - on the Yahoo Numbered Lo-boy list I see them asking $1800 to $2500 for what you describe. I don't know what they are getting for actual sales but I would guess around $2000 would be about right.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:58 pm

How well do they mow? Do they have a 60 inch deck? I wondered if they'd but sort of underpowered like a cub, since they have the same engine? Or do they all have the increased HP pistons.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:36 pm

These are considered good mowing tractors. They do have the increased hp engines and live power to the mower which helps. Weak areas are the clutch and pto drive. Plus they use starter / generators rather than a flywheel start motor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:38 pm

HP was not increased until the later 185's so yes they are a little underpowered for the 60 inch deck. Nearly all of the 154's I've seen have the 60 incher, neighbor has one with a 42 inch deck, no power problem there. If the engine is in good shape they do a good job mowing if your grass doesn't get tall. I have a 60 inch on my 63 Loboy and it does fine as long as I don't let the grass get to tall.

John in Ct
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John in Ct » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:20 pm

I have used both. A 154 will out mow a Cub! The live PTO is a big help. Can't complain on the starter /generator. Bad part, clutch + shafts.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Lowboy 154 Values?

Postby BigBill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 am

I want to thank the forum here for giving the int number series cub owners a place of there own. Thanks guys...... :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

I think an int154 cub is worth a lot more depending on what condition its in. I've seen these on the net going between $2500 to $3500 and some weren't great looking tractors nor in good condition too. Any tractor thats priced less is a good buy depending on the condition. I'd rather find a good runner that needs a little TLC in the looks department. I think that anything "CUB" is going top bring in the higher dollars anyway you look at it. They still don't make anything that compares to these awesome machines wether there red (fcub) or int154/184/185.

I agree if you keep the grass cut and don't let it get out of hand the int154 cub with the 60" deck will do fine. I cut 12" high grass at my new place after it was let go and did it in a few passes but it did do it and now it looks like a golf course.

My local tractor repair guy says the int154 cub is a mowing machine.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

red56turbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52742
Tractors Owned: Check out my signature!

Postby red56turbo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 am

The PTO is the biggest problem. Hard to replace parts and VERY expensive. Otherwise, pretty nice machines. Almost bought one last year.

Red56
Tractors in the stable: '62 560D Cub Cadets in the stable: 782D, 1572 SGT, 1772 SGT, 1782 SGT

Big B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Big B » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Everyone has made valid points.
I own one I have decided to part out. When I got it all the good use had been gotten out of it. The engine was in fine shape, but it had the wrong mower deck on it and the clutch was always a problem. Never experienced any PTO cluch problems though.
I can say I used one in the early 70s new and it was a mowing machine as someone mentioned. I mowed baseball fields with it all day long almost every day as a summer job. It was a great machine the only thing we had to do was keep gas in it, change the oil and sharpen or change the blades. I used it at least two or three summers while I was in school. The only problem I ever remember was that the governor would pull back that dinky cable throttle and slow it down. Other than that it was a great machine.
That's the reason I took a change on the used up one I bought. I can tell you this for sure if you find one that doen't have the three blade mower deck, walk away. The one I got had the single blade deck and I can tell you it will not mow like the three blade deck.
As far as value I have watched them on E-bay and seen them go for $3500.00 or more in what appeared in the pictures to be almost new on the out side. Everything in tact. If they had been in my area and ran like the one I used in the 70's I would have bought one.
If you can test drive the one you are talking about check the clutch real close. Check to see if it will pop out of third gear from a dead stop under a load (mine would). Make sure the shifting leaver will not jump out of the shifting forks and jam the gears or leave it stuck in reverse or one of the othe gears. Check the hydraulic lift. Those are all the problems I can think to look for. Don't forget the PTO someone had mentioned. It may look good and have been indoors, but you still can't see the wear on all the things I mentioned. If it checks out good I think it might be in that $2500 to $3500 range.
I hope this helps you.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:17 am

Since these tractors are getting so expensive there hard to replace so it maybe worth rebuilding it. Thats what i plan on doing with my int154 cub. It runs great but i'd like to restore it so i'm sure everything is ok so it will last me for many years. I mainly use it for mowing with the 3260 deck although it has the 3pt hitch too.

With a new modern 54" cut mower with 20hp costing $3,000 picking up a cub of any kind with a mower deck is hard to beat at any price. I guess nowadays its the zero turn mowers being the hot ticket. I just don't get it when it costs $5,000. I don't have that much in my two cubs and my 5 cadets.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Tue May 27, 2008 8:56 am

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the numbered low boys going very high - especially on EBAY. The ones in good usable condition seem to be in the $1200-$1800 range. Cubs and Cub Lowboys in comparable condition and options always seem to go a little higher. You do see a lot them that have a starting bid of $2500 or $3500 but most of them never sell.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”