This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel Tank Dilemma

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Fuel Tank Dilemma

Postby Harold R » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:40 pm

When tightening the sediment bowl into the tank, it leaves the lever where it will center on a high point of the underside of the tank. If I back it off, it leaks. Here it's shown as tight as it will go, but not in a good position. I thought about a short pipe nipple, but I don't think there is enough room under there. Is this a "JB Weld" fix like the coolant drain plug?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:52 pm

If you don't have room to add a close nipple, try filing the end of the shut-off lever to make it shorter.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:46 pm

Take the bowl off and use a pipe tap to give the threads in the tank a bit of a cleaning. Use some teflon on the threads so it will turn as easily as possible. Looks like you only need a quarter turn or so.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:21 am

I haven't been able to locate a pipe tap. Lowe's or Home Depot are limited in that area. I may have to file, or take the pipe nipple and run it in a little deeper. I just don't want to crack anything. After it's cured, does JB Weld do alright with fuel on it?
Thanks,
HR

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:55 am

HR

Please wait for someone to confirm this, but I thought the tap size is 1/2 inch pipe thread. I think I got one at my local True Value. Paul K. in N.H.

Mac McVey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17374
eBay ID: YEVCM

Postby Mac McVey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:01 am

Threads are 3/8 NPT if you choose to run a tap into the tank.
'50 Super A, '58 Cub, 1 Original Cub Cadet, 1 Model 70 Cub Cadet, 2 Model 100 Cub Cadets, 1 Model 105 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 2185 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 1864, and 2 small green ones.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:08 am

HR, the sediment bowls are usually made out of brass or pot metal depending on the age, and are fairly soft. Yours may have been reinstalled a few times and over tightened to the point the threads are a little small. You may find that a $15 sediment bowl assembly and a little thread dope or tape will solve your problems.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:54 pm

i believe there is a special teflon tape for fuel contact duty. blue if i remember Dad correctly.
i don't have any, but it's on my 'hope i remember next time i'm inthe parts store' list
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:06 pm

Hello All
well it sounds like I was wrong on the npt tap size, but I know Home depot has thread tape just for gasoline and k1 at there store . I believe it is in a yellow plastic roll, says right on it for use with gasoline and so on. Cost less than a buck. Paul K. in N.H. :oops:

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:01 pm

You'll need a small NPT TAP( tapered pipe threads ) It may be as small as 1/8" NPT. Take the sediment bowl with you when you go shopping. While you're at it, get a button die to chase the threads on the sediment bowl too- same size. Just clean the threads only on the male threads; don't take more material off. Then thread the fitting on dry and see where you wind up as far as position. Note where the lever IS and where it SHOULD be. Take the sediment bowl off; then run the tap in till it is going to start to cut; line up one of the tap handles with the "IS" reference mark and then tap deeper till you get to the "SHOULD" reference mark. Put the bowl on and see if it lines up where you want it. REMEMBER! You can always take just a bit more out.....there's no such thing as putting just a bit more back on! Once it goes where it should re-install with the proper pipe joint compound.

It looks like there is teflon tape or pipe joint compound at your flared fitting on the side for the fuel line. This is not correct. The threads on this type of fitting do not form the seal.
The seal is formed between the nipple and the flared fuel line. If this joint leaks you probably need to cut off the old flare and make a new one. It's a flare like they make for brake lines. Consider forming up a metal line for the entire run to the carb that hugs the block. It won't flop around or get caught on a branch like the rubber lines do. Many times the rigid fuel lines on older equip were cut out to add in line fuel filters and for an easy way to drain fuel out.
Happy Fixin' !

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Remember, when you are using taps and dies on the threads that pipe taps are tapered, and the further you run the tap in, the larger the threads will be, and the deeper you will have to screw the sediment bownl in to get a seal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:08 pm

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:
The seal is formed between the nipple and the flared fuel line. If this joint leaks you probably need to cut off the old flare and make a new one. It's a flare like they make for brake lines. Consider forming up a metal line for the entire run to the carb that hugs the block. It won't flop around or get caught on a branch like the rubber lines do. Many times the rigid fuel lines on older equip were cut out to add in line fuel filters and for an easy way to drain fuel out.
Happy Fixin' !

If the fittings are original, they won't be flared. They are compression fittings which require ferrules. I make replacement lines out of steel brake line by cutting the flared ends off and adding ferrules. Both types of fittings use the same type nuts, but the female part they screw into in the sediment bowl and carburetor are not flare type. The flared end will not seal correctly and can be dangerous. :shock:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Wireharness
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wireharness » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:54 am

Had the same problem on our 450D small gas tank. The only solution is buy a new sedement bowl as the threads are worn and use liquid Teflon. Works 100 %

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the pointers. I'm just trying to re-furb this '50 model, and as you all know, some of the things you find from previous owners leaves one scratching his head. I do prefer to go back with correct method, and as usual, you guys come through. Thanks.
HR

Return to “Farmall Cub”