This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

POR 15 ?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

POR 15 ?

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:09 pm

I have decided to use POR 15 instead of primer when I paint my '45 B Farmall. I plan on brushing the POR 15 on in 2 coats, then shoot 2150 Red on top of it. What is the best color of POR 15 to use :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:17 pm

I would think that grey would probably be a good color under red. Have you considered spraying the Por15 on? I would think you would be able to see the brush marks, or at least not get it very smooth brushing on. I think you will get a better finish if it is sprayed.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:22 pm

Bud, unless they have changed POR-15, you will need to use the Tie Coat over the primer before the 2150 is applied.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:46 pm

Por 15 should only be used where you can not get at something to remove the rust. It is not a fail safe operation.
I am a firm believer in POR 15 as I know many who use it in truck restoration. POR15 should not be used in areas where there is going to be a nice paint job. It is very tough to paint over.(finish coat) It works great for frames, floor panes etc......
To learn more read any of the POR 15 websites on the net.
POR!% is very hard and tough to sand in order to topcoat. They do make thier own primer now.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:16 am

Well, based on the information from Mike, I may need to reconsider. Looks like I'll be priming instead of using POR-15. :roll: Thanks, Mike.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”