This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch brake adjustment?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
iowaboy77
10+ Years
10+ Years

clutch brake adjustment?

Postby iowaboy77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 pm

How does one go about adjusting the clutch brake on an old 154?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: clutch brake adjustment?

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:19 pm

On the clutch brake you need .010" clearance on the buttons to the flywheel. On the throwout bearing you need .090" clearance between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers. Once this is set correctly it will work fine.

My tranny was grinding so i got into reading about this and deceided to adjust the brake first. I looked at the throwout bearing and the distance (gap) looked ok. I fixed it with one adjustment(the brake).
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

iowaboy77
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby iowaboy77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm

If I change gears and do not let the clutch back in between them, all is well, but if I stop in neutral and let the clutch in, when i depress it again and try to put it in gear, I slightly grind my way into the gear. Knowing very little about anything mechanical, and reading about the "brake", it sounds like a reasonable place to start. Stupid question... where do I find it, and how do I adjust it? Anyone know of diagrams, instructions, anything?

I'm about as mechanically inclined as a rock, but I'm determined to not let that stop me. Poor, poor, loBoy :-)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

You need to remove the center driveshaft guard cover. Its the threaded rod with two jam nuts right at the front of the seat area thats the clutch brake adjustment. Anything to do with grinding when trying to get it into gear is the clutch brake adjustment.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

John in Ct
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John in Ct » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't know if this is right or not. If I set mine to spec, when I put the clutch in, the tractor would stop rolling almost instantly because of the clutch brake . I set mine loose so the tractor ( in gear) still rolls when the clutch is depressed and at the same time, the rear flywheel comes to a stop if the transmission is in neutral.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:28 am

I noticed the clutch brake acts like a brake too if i step on the clutch only the tractor will stop too. Its the nature of the beast in the design.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:10 am

I only have limited experience with 154, but shouldn't it be adjusted so that the clutch releases part way down, and the brake applies as the pedal is pushed further?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Yes but when its adjusted to specs the clutch brake can also stop the tractor too. You need to step on both the clutch and the brake pedals at the sametime so we don't wearout the two pucks on the clutch brake. We can get lazy and use the clutch brake to stop the tractor too of course thats not good.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”