Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:24 pm
I was using Lola today with the dozer blade today and her clutch, all at once was gone. no resistance to the pedal untill that last inch or less. I had to shut her off and start her in 1st gear to get back to the garage.
I looked in the inpection hole and looks like nothing worked loose or anything, so I tried adjusting the pedal, but to get it to work, then the throw out bearing hit the pressure plate, so that was no good. So I adjusted the fingers. It now seems to be ok, so far. I dont know what happened to cause this. How much graphite is to be on the throwout bearing ? Mine has about 1/4 of an inch, could that have worn that fast ?
Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:55 pm
1/4" thickness sounds about right. Except that they wear in the center of the graphite.
Could be due for another throwout bearing.
Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm
I finnished grading the drive today and the clutch works better than it has ever worked, still dont know what caused the problem.
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:31 pm
I have a 52 that "suddenly" had a clutch problem. I would have sworn that I had lost the throwout bearing, the way it went from OK to NoGo. However, when i adjusted pedal free play, and then adjusted the fingers out to just a little clearance, it's been pretty much okay ever since. I have the pressure plate fingers out a tad too much, if I really press down, the bearing "ticks" just a hair, so I'm probably running on the edge.
I'm not sure why these things seem to go over the edge all at once, rather than giving you a little warning. But it seems not too uncommon....
Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:14 pm
Thats what mine did, worked ok untill i put it in neutral to get off to check my work. I got back on and went to put it in gear and pedal went to the stop with no resistance and i coulnt get it in gear. adjusted the fingers and all seems ok now. looks like nothing sliped or moved, dont know what happened.
Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 am
this thread brought back to my mind one of the questions i have had ever since i changed my first throw out bearing in my first cub. i finally got together all the things i need to answer my question.
the question was-how do they keep the graphite in the bearing. here is what i did....
i put a brand new tob in a vice between two boards. not tight. a match book cover would easily slide between the board and the bearing. using my grease gun i lubricated the new bearing with grease according to the book. when i had the bearing filled with grease i tried to pass the match book cover between the board and the bearing. it didn't fit! i had pushed the graphite block out of the casting with the grease gun the same as stretching the tracks on a dozer. i repeated the test with a used up bearing.(the very same bearing i took out of my first cub...what a pack rat) by the third pump of grease the graphite had pushed on the graphite enough to start the graphite on its way out. i took the bearing out of the vice and two more pumps brought the graphite all the way out of the casting revealing hardened grease that the oil had been leeched from.
i suspect another line should be added to the book. if the clutch pedal on a tractor was held down enough to put normal pressure on the graphite block, it would not move, but could be lubricated without dislodging the graphite.
Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 am
That is a REALLY
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.