This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake "drum"

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Brake "drum"

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:02 pm

After unlatching the brakes, I discovered that the left brake was useless. There's something major wrong in there. The brake drum, or wheel, or whatever you call it, slides from side to side and is a very loose fit on the shaft.

Anybody know what kind of parts I might need, so I've only got to take the thing apart once?

As an aside, how do the final drives get lubricated?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:12 pm

Final drives have their own oil supply in the bottom. There is a filler plug on the inner side that you can remove with a 1/2" ratchet drive. May have to take drawbar off to get to one of them.

Regarding brakes, by your description you will probably need a new drum with setscrew and halfmoon key. The drum slides over a halfmoon key on the shaft and there is a setesrew that goes through the drum and tightens against the key. If the set screw comes loose or breaks it will alow the drum to move around enfough for the key to come out or shear. If it is run very long that way it usually wears out the cneter of the drum, and occasioanlly wears the shaft. Replacement drums are fairly reasonable from salvage yards such as http://www.jptractorsalvage.com or http://www.tmtractor.com or http://www.chowntractorparts.com
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mymariah » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:35 pm

I have same problem with my 48 cub. THe set screw actually busted off, but got one at a local junk yard ($25 and didn't have to pay $10 shipping). To make matters worse, the casting hole that holds the pin for the brake band busted off, so instead of welding one, we manufactured a piece of iron and just got a longer pin. Now the only problem is the platform is bent from people pushing the brakes so hard - hopefully when I put the fenders on, it will sturdy-up the platform

Return to “Farmall Cub”