This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer in garden

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Deer in garden

Postby Bill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Has anyone had success with an electric fence to keep deers out of gardens. If so at what height was your wire. Any other suggestions that have been successful?

Thanks in advance, Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Deer in garden

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Bill,

This information may be helpful.

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/wildlife/deercont.PDF

But this hardware is the only sure fire solution. :D

Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Bill,

What worked for me last year was dog hair. Went to the dog groomer and got a sack of hair and put handfulls around the edge of the garden and randomly out in it. I will do it again this year.

Billy

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 pm

I use a 3 line white electric rope, that came with the new acres!---The bottom rope is about 18" from the ground,--middle rope is 36", and top is about 48" to 50" or so! Last year they came up to it and went along it without jumping it. I think they see the white rope, (the larger diameter size) and kind of avoid it! ---The charger is a small one for 20 miles of fence, so it has a kick to it that you would not believe.
I would love to have a 7 foot high tinsel electric boundary fence, but that is out for now!--Rabbits and robins are our biggest problem right now! thanks; sonny

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:17 am

We have a lot of Deer, but I think the dogs are running them off. I use an electric fence mostly for Coons. I run about two miles one strand about eight in. above the ground and the other 24”. I guess I’m lucky so for not having Deer damage.

I like Sonny’s set up. They probably see the white rope at night.

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1952 F Cub

Postby markwayne » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:09 pm

I like to keep the fur on the dog :) I think that works best. If I see deer I let the dogs out to run them off. The deer learn real fast to stay away.
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks for the replys. Was in garden today, deer eating our new red rasberry plant leaves, I use an electric fence to keep raccoon out of sweet corn, one wire eight inches one at sixteen inches. Last year I had to put wire mesh over our redbeets , endive, and lettuce or we would have lost it all. Neighbor raises several acres of strawberries, and this year he got a nuiscance permit to shoot 5 deer. The deer are already eating his strawberry plants. This is a big cash crop for him.
I think I am going to try the electric fence first and see if that works.
Bill

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:13 pm

When I was a boy, we had a bad raccoon problem. We put electric fence about 10 inches off the ground and ran straight 110 volts to it. We had lots of bbq coon AND watermelon to wash it down with.

you couldn't even think about doing it today, you would be put in jail.

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby markwayne » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 am

Thats funny right off the AC line huh? I had a buddy that had stray dogs digging up his landscaping, he put wire around everything and being cheap he hooked it to a neon sign transformer he had lying around, yee hah! They don't put out all that much more voltage than a fence charger but a lot more current since they don't have the current limiting controls a charger has. he only kept it plugged in at night until one day he went to work and forgot. When he got home he noticed he left it plugged in. Then he hears a slight arcing sound out in the yard. Investigating he finds a neighbors cat with one paw over the wire fried stiff. A swift burial and denial ensued, no he hadn't seen their cat and had no idea where he went, to keep the peace.

I read somewhere that dogs wolfs coyote and such require around 8000 volts to start a shock through their coats. I have a Parmark Mark IV charger to keep the dogs in and it has about 8K volts of "guard voltage", they don't touch the fence a second time :) at least the smart ones don't.
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bill » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Put electric fence up today. Hope this will do the job for us. Last night they ate all the leaves off of one of our new raspberry plants.
Bill

Big B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Big B » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:30 pm

If the electric fence doesn't work try any 30 cal. or buckshot might get you two for one. Just kidding.

One time years ago the deer were eating my dad's peas. He had tried things like soap, maybe hair and I think perfume. I told him to try what I did one time to keep the neighbor's cat from using a planter for a litter box. Someone told us to put mothballs in the planter. Worked like a charm. My dad decided why not. He got two boxes of moth balls and we went around the perimeter of the pea patch throwing them out. No more deer from that point on. Give it a try. I don't know how much mothballs cost today, but it would be easy thing to try.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:44 am

I have had some luck using a "Scarecrow". It is an irrigation head with a motion detector. anything that moves in the garden get a blast of water.

www.scarecrowinfo.com
Best,
Mike
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Uncle Mike » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:13 pm

I tried CD's on fish string. The had to be high in the garden, and they worked fine until the wind blew them off.
I will be tying them to the fruit trees this year. The other thing that works real good is LUCY TO GREAT GRAND DOG.

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bill » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Been four nights since I put up electric fence. No new deer tracks in garden. Sure hope this is the answser.
Bill

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby markwayne » Thu May 01, 2008 9:39 am

Go to Youtube.com and search for scarecrow there are a couple of funny vids there of that water blaster at work.

Also bill how did you rig that fence? Height, # of wires?

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”