This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sanding, Sandblasting Safety Concerns

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Sanding, Sandblasting Safety Concerns

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:04 pm

One of the reasons why sandblasting is the method of least preference for me, schmibm brought up. Being a person who was raised in a Hard Rock Mining Town and whose Grandfather and Uncle both died of lung cancer (the provincial government will never admit to silicosis as it becomes a legal liablility issue for the province and the mines), and having Pulmonary Fibrosis myself, I have a lot of concerns for the side effects of the improper use of sandblasting equipment.

There has been a lot a talk about how to use catalyzed finishes and the protections needed to go that route. But many people forget that there are other methods of contracting that disease. Sandblasting is one of them. Sanding metal is another. Even sanding wood can cause it. Ask any cabinet maker. Improper safety precautions or the lack of them are the prime cause. Too many people sand without respirators and blast without sufficient breathing, eye or skin protection.

Black beauty (coal by-product), any of the silicates which includes sand, aluminum compounds and other media are all inherently dangerous as well, and this little nugget of info should be kept in mind. Be sure to use the proper blast cabinets with dust extraction, use a disposable body suit, hood shield and respirator when blasting any media. Use a respirator and eye protection when sanding metals as a minimum precaution.

So.. another reason for Electrolysis. It is the far safer method of many...

Yust me dos centavos.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Sanding, Sandblasting Safety Concerns

Postby Jim Roy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 am

Rudi
Thanks for the reminder. When I rebuilt my cub. I sandblasted several parts. I used a respirator and the shield with long sleeves and high top boots. I know it was wrong now by not using a full suit. :oops: :oops:
Altho I used the respirator and shield I still got some dust in my nose. Don't thank I will use blasting again.
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 am

I do a little sandblasting occasionally. My safety gear consists of a cartridge type respirator used for lead mining, a hood with faceplate, and I use a rain poncho to keep the sand and dust off my clothes. All seems to work pretty good. The full body suit is a good idea, but kind of tough to find one in my size (short and very round).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Thu May 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Proper safety gear is a must for anyone sandblasting and painting.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Proper personal protective equipment is a must for any job, including electrolysis. During electroysis, the washing soda solutions is alkaline and will irritate your skin and eyes. You should be wearing eye protection and rubber gloves. If any of the solution spills or is splashed onto your body you should rinse it off immediately. I also recommend having eye wash bottles or a source of clean water nearby in case you get any in your eyes.

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm

And imagine what would happen if the neighbors cat fell in the tank.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Sat May 03, 2008 5:06 am

schmibm wrote:And imagine what would happen if the neighbors cat fell in the tank.

Ahhh, I ain't responding to that here... I don't want to get another warning. :lol:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 03, 2008 8:06 am

The safest way I've found to do it is just load it all up and take it to Bruce. He or his crew takes all the risk and keeps all the mess. I usually have him put a primer coat on everything and then wait by the phone for him to call. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim Martin » Sat May 03, 2008 8:13 am

Agreed.

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Sat May 03, 2008 9:26 pm

I still like it. I even noticed you have the RickP front hitch on there.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim Martin » Sun May 04, 2008 6:02 am

schmibm wrote:I still like it. I even noticed you have the RickP front hitch on there.

That front hitch is nice, it makes life so easy when you have your Cub on a flat bed trailer. Especially after the new paint is on it and you are trying to keep it nice and shiny! :D I figured that it was on there and I am going to paint it red later on, might as well get it blasted too.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 am

I'm glad I checked this post out. I used to restore Truimph GT6s when I was in high school and sand blasted everything. I just started sandblasting the 48 and didn't use a respirator like I did when I was younger. How stupid can I get at times????? Thanks to everyone out here who chipped in with their safety comments. Someone gave me a blue tank so the electrolysis tank is in the works. Tim Martin....good advice about having eyewash handy. Can't find the words for my gratitude for all the smart advice! :D

CW

Return to “Safety Forum”