This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CRACK CRACK CRACK!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

CRACK CRACK CRACK!

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:10 pm

Uh oh...

Well I found two cracks, and they look like doozies... But I don't think they are in the "normal" place, having gone back through all the threads about cracks in the tractor body?

Both of the cracks are between 3 and 4 inches long, and they run horizontally along the very front of the tractor, just above the starter crank hole. When I tap on the top of the casting, just in front of the radiator gasket, fluid comes out of the cracks... Is this coolant or just trapped water? Was that a hollow chamber for coolant storage inside that casting?

Crap crap crap...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:16 pm

Yes, that is your water, anti freeze resovore. you will need to have it welded, or replace it. Evadently your cub Froze, at one time. No Antifreeze. "Jack" :cry:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:18 pm

That is the radiator tank, and yes there is coolant in there. Cracks there are probably freeze cracks.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:24 pm

Allen,

That is very common on these Cubs. What you have is a cracked bolster. This is caused by freezing. The best soultion is to replace it with a known good part. It can be welded as Mr GW will most likley show but it takes some one who knows what they're doing with a casting. I made a temp fix with JB weld, (not the way to go).

When the bolster is cracked it also heaves the top of the bolster (where the radiaror sits). The radiator will not seal unless it sits on a flat surface.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cracked bolster...

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:04 pm

Thank you all.

While I cost out a used and a new-if-available replacement, what is the easiest method of getting it repaired, should I remove the front end and take just the bolster in to be welded, ground, and then have the top re-machined to flatten/true it up?

Seems easier than rolling a dead tractor somewhere.

It seems that at the very front of the tractor, this isn't really a structural component at all - it just has a little pressure on it from the coolant, but very little pressure as far as I can tell considering the strength of a weld. I had the 454 in my boat sleeved and welded last year, and if that's held up, then there must be a simple way to fix this thing!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:10 pm

http://www.jptractorsalvage.com and http://www.tmtractor.com both sell them, and I think http://www.chowntractorparts.com in Canada may also have them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Mr. GW

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:14 pm

Donny M wrote:It can be welded as Mr GW will most likley show

Is Mr. GW a reference to George Willer (did I get that name right?)... I did notice a post from a while back where somebody, perhaps Mr. Willer had said that welding was not sufficient? But that was referring to cracks in the block I think, and this is not in a part of the engine block, but on the foremost part of the tractor...

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Hard to find...

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:23 pm

Sent them all an e-mail. Appears to be sold out where there was *evidence* of it being available :cry:

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:23 pm

I emailed tmtractor about one a couple weeks ago. He said he doesn't expect any soon, and that if I see one, grab it! He said all the ones he's getting are cracked. I got a front end off ebay that was in a fire. the paint was burned off, but it should be fine.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Rare...

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:39 pm

I still gotta think its repairable...

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:37 am

Allen,
You are correct it is repairable. But, you have to find some one that knows how to weld castings. I know a place in Mississippi that does nothing but weld castings. I wouldn't get it done any place else. GMHO

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:36 am

allenlook
I have had three rad bolsters welded by three different welders that said they could fix them. The best idea is to look and wait for one that is not cracked, like some one in a earlier post when they freeze they bulge the top,you will not stop the rad from leaking. :( :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

crack crack crack

Postby Ron » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:09 pm

allenlook,

Take a look at item #3831635469 on eBay.
I believe this what you are looking for.

Ron Henderson
1951 Farmall Cub

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:17 pm

Here is easy access to the eBay item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... playType=2
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

I dunno.

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:17 pm

Gosh, I don't know fellas.

I don't want to question the collective wisdom at all. Believe me.

In a former life I worked with rotating elements weighing tens of tons, and machined to tolerances of tenths of thousandths of inches... The welders who built, maintained and repaired the units could all weld a rock to a tree permanently, and this just doesn't seem like a structural area, nor does it seem all that difficult to remachine/lap the radiator seat back to flat, if it's even bowed at all based on this hairline crack...

I've gotta say I have a shot at fixing this one, and I'll give it a try based on the price of the "new" item.

BTW, thank you George for your picture of where to look for block cracks. So far, I don't see any, and I've removed at least two layers of gunk and paint in my search :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”