This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dusting off dads memories....of tractors!

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jmcguire
10+ Years
10+ Years

Dusting off dads memories....of tractors!

Postby jmcguire » Sat May 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Well, about a month or so ago I decided to set into motion the project of finding a "cub" and restoring it. My family knows I love to take old things and make them new again..... but a tractor, I planned on keeping a little hush hush from mom and dad as sometimes they think I go " over the top" in my " wanting things" instead of saving more money in the bank. And me living just outside of Philadelphia.... a tractor just does not fit.... but I'll find one....

Well, last week I decided to let it out of the bag and tell my step dad. Hes 68 and sometimes, to me seems to be very forgetful on the little things.... he's still very "with it" and whitty.... grew up around small farms / plots of land... but never lived on a farm.... nor has any great affection to farm life... but he was a kid growing up in the rural Pennsylvania 1950's... now a retired steel worker and antique peddler

So over the phone I tell him " I think I am going to find a farmall Cub for my next project"....

he says " oh the small one"

me " you know them"?

dad " yeah, Joe... joe.. what the hellishisname had one, and bob kuzma had a Super C and old man wilson had a H"

me " you rememebr all those tractors"

dad " Heck yeah, what ya think i have alzheimers?"

me "sometimes"

Me " so what do you think about me getting a cub"

Him , in a laughing tone " I've seen you waste more money on dumber things so why not"

in a nutshell, it amazed me that my stepdad, who barely cares to remember what year I graduated school or what he ate for dinner last night, can remember what Farmalls were around his stopming grounds 50 years ago.

something about tractors......
Jim
A-10 Aircraft Mechanic, wood splitting fool, country boy at heart. Its not broke, i am sure i could rebuild it!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Re: Dusting off dads memories....of tractors!

Postby KETCHAM » Sun May 18, 2008 7:32 am

Might be good to get him envolved in the "project".My dad had never driven a tractor before last year.I was shocked to learn that one.He had a blast.I was on a hay wagon cutting tree branches so you won;t get wacked in the face.He drove me around and under the trees.A lot of my family were farmers and coal miners in southern Ohio.Thats why it suprised me.Kevin I'm taking after my grandfather in the gardening :D :D :mrgreen: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

jmcguire
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jmcguire » Sun May 18, 2008 7:46 am

I would love to get hom involved, but I know he really would have no great interest. Now, if it was cleaning a old sword or polishing coins, he'd be in! But getting pops to turn a wrench, I think his days of having fun doing that are over.... he'd rather stand there and bust my chops
Jim
A-10 Aircraft Mechanic, wood splitting fool, country boy at heart. Its not broke, i am sure i could rebuild it!

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Who knows, Jim, you might be surprised. What have you got to loose? Might be good for both of you. :wink:
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 19, 2008 4:39 am

I wish mine were still around to bust my chops.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

jmcguire
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jmcguire » Mon May 19, 2008 6:59 am

beaconlight wrote:I wish mine were still around to bust my chops.

I can't imagine how its going to be when he passes.... I'll surely miss his dialy does of humor and slapstick comedy....
I just know dad would not want to get involved... I tried before with my first project car and other things.... But I sure will have him on the hunt for IH and Farmall stuff at the auctions / flea markets, so he'll help in that way...
Jim

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon May 19, 2008 7:52 am

beaconlight wrote:I wish mine were still around to bust my chops.

:Dito:
My dad was always working in the IHC plant in Indy. Then got into politics. Never around to give me greef.
FIL started to help with my cub then got sick & passed.
Keep him in the loop.
We all don't last forever. Take alot of pictures of him & you working on the tractor.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

jmcguire
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jmcguire » Tue May 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Yes, I hope i can get a day of working with pops on it...... it would be nice.... heck, i'd be happy just to see him try and drive it!
Jim

Cub 1948
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub 1948 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi Jim,
Where do you live? I'm in the Pottstown, area. I know a guy that has farmall's for sale.
I own a 1950 Farmall C and a 1948 Farmall Cub, and no you can't have it, lol.
Here's a video of my C. you can see the cub in the shed in the back ground.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oby0b5U3YkY

Have a great holiday weekend,
I'll be at IH weekend up at Rough & Tumble at Kinzer, Pa. Friday and Saturday with my C.

Len.
My Late Father worked for 41 years at a IH dealership C.Wilson & Son's Kimberton, Pa.
As a parts man.
we have in tractors:
6 Cubcadets: Original,70,104,680,682 and 782
1948 Cub,1950 Farmall C ,10-A Disk Harrow, Sun-Master C-48 Brush Mower

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”