This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help getting started with a 240 (first tractor)

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
veener79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Help getting started with a 240 (first tractor)

Postby veener79 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:08 pm

This weekend I finalized a deal on a Farmall 240 with 3 attachments. We are going to be using it for cutting the lawn and around the house since it has a front end loader. We have 8 acers with part of it wetlands and wooded areas. But I want to repaint it and restore it also and have a great looking daily use tractor. What I am wondering with a tractor this old what are some things I should look over and change right away before we even start to use it? I know fluids. I guess what types of fliud do I use? Engine oil weight, power steering fluid, hydrolic fluid. I would guess just green coolant.

This is what I know I need and need help with places to find parts. Exhausts manifold, grill, hood maybe. The dash might need some work also. I am also wanting to get a extra set of rims to add turf tires to. That way I have tires for any job.

I am going to get some pics of it when I get her home. We have to pick her up latter this week or Saturday because of electrical issues we found out in the truck when we went to hook up the trailer. So now have to fix the truck to get the tractor.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help getting started with a 240 (first tractor)

Postby Eugene » Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 am

This weekend I finalized a deal on a Farmall 240 with 3 attachments. What I am wondering with a tractor this old what are some things I should look over and change right away before we even start to use it?
First thing. Buy the operators manual, then the service manual. The operators manual will provide all of the information required to maintain the tractor. Grease zerk locations, lubricant type and quantity.

Finding parts. Some advertisers on this board sell IH parts other than Cubs. Suggest looking over their web sites.

http://www.Valu-bilt.com has a free parts catalog. This catalog will provide information on available parts as well as a general idea of prices.

Before you purchase a "working" tractor - give it a test drive. Make sure everything works, etc..
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Tue May 20, 2008 9:57 am

Good Luck with this tractor, JP's would be a good place to start looking for parts. If they do not have what you are looking for, they can point you in the right direction.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

veener79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby veener79 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Eugene wrote:
Before you purchase a "working" tractor - give it a test drive. Make sure everything works, etc..

Yea before we load it all atachments are going on to make sure it all works and he is going to go over the tractor with me. The battery was dead when we struck the deal since it sat all winter but he was getting it in working order. Yea he does not have the cash for that comes when we pick it up.

veener79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby veener79 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Pickup the tractor today. It runs great. Starts right up when cold. I need new batter cables though. Both are shot and some how the postive got melted many years ago around the termal. I think a new fuel filter is needed bad when it get low on gas it dies when you get off the cluch. This was a shocker for me the hours on it are only 972. It was 971 when we picked it up. For the last 20+ years it was used just for mowing grass every few weeks in horse pens. So that might be right. I do have kind of a dumb question I forgot to ask the guy and will have to call up on how do I raise up the rear arms on for the PTO? I know I am missing something simple. :(

Well to the shots.

The maker of the bucket

The hours

My fathers other truck that now has a partner in the shop.

Cub parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub parts man » Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm

I have a orginal preventive maintenance manual that is on the Cub,Cub Lo-Boy,140,240,340 the cost is $35.00 and that is with shipping. Let me know if you still need the manual.

Norm

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 30, 2008 10:22 pm

That tractor is an Internatinal 240 Utility, not a Farmall 240. By the way, that isn't the original tach.

veener79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby veener79 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks Jim,

I did not know that and I just went to the CaseIH site to look for parts and I found out what you were saying. Good to know.

BTW what color should this tractor be paitned? I have yellow over red paint but at a local Case dealer they are telling me that this could be correct that it should be yellow over the red depending on what kind of dealer it was sold at.

BTW is there any other good places to learn about this tractor ones close to it? I want to learn a lot about tractors since being out in old farm areas a lot of them are being sold and I see tractors hear and there for sale.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 pm

Operators manual, service manual and parts manual. Free information on farm tractors - local library. And there is always the web site boards.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 31, 2008 11:22 pm

For farm use, they typically were red and white. Industrial, highway etc. use typically was yellow. Normally yellow ones were painted that way at the factory. Dealers may have repainted if needed to meet a requirement, resulting in the yellow over red you have. It was more common to find yellow ones repainted red/white.

Along with the manuals Eugene mentioned, there is also a Preventive Maintenance manual that covered Cub, 140, 240, 340. You can find it on the manual server (link at top of the page) under the Cub manuals.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:50 pm

You're in good company. Here's a 240 utility with a Wagner loader I bought last year. It's painted yellow over red. I got a good deal on it, but have had to

1. buy new tires
2. rebuild hydraulics
3. have head machined
4. rebuild steering gearing and replace steering U joints

Good luck with yours.
Attachments
106ss.JPG
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”