This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need recommendations on wich tractors will meet my needs.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

I need recommendations on wich tractors will meet my needs.

Postby pgmrdan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:52 pm

This is my first post so I suppose I should start it by saying 'Hi!' to everyone.

I'm buying some land but I won't be moving onto it for almost 2 years so I have some time before I need to have a tractor. At least I think I'll need a tractor.

I want one for snow removal from the long driveway (Iowa winters!), mowing the ditch, hauling firewood out of the woods, landscaping, gardening, and some other tasks I don't want to do by hand.

Someone told me a Farmall Cub was too light for this work but I have my doubts. Several others recommended a Ford 8N.

I know almost nothing about tractors but I do have some mechanical ability so I think, with some online advice, I'll be alright maintaining a tractor.

I'm wide open to suggestions. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm

I'm sure others will chime in who know better, but depending on the size of everything, a Cub will do everything you need it to. There are probably plenty in your area. The only thing that concerns me is the ditch, how steep are the sides and so on. Welcome to the club, I'm sure Rudi will give you a better welcome, complete with all the links!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:52 pm

Welcome :!: :!: :D :D

Plenty of knowledge on this board to answer all of your questions...but expect a somewhat bias answer, after all this is the Farmall CUB forum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:49 pm

Dan:

I live in New Brunswick, and our winters here are pretty rough and really cold! Ellie-Mae has been handling the snow plowing chores for the last 2 years, and hey, I really like it. Have a look at the Cub and Implement Gallery on the server. You will see some examples of what she can do.

Also, my Cubs do all that you want and a whole lot more. Key word is to not overdo it. Take it slow, easy and be sensible when attempting some projects/jobs etc.

As for hauling wood, again, check out the Gallery. I built the wagon that is shown there, and Ellie hauls that easily with 2/3 of a cord of hardwood (green) on it. Probably weighs somewhere between 2 and 3,000 lbs from what I have been told.

So have no fear, find your self a nice Cub and jump right in!

Oh, welcome to the Forum, best Cub Forum on the internet - bar none!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:16 am

Donny M said, "expect a somewhat bias answer, after all this is the Farmall CUB forum."

I'm leaning towards a Cub. That's why I posted on a Cub forum. I want you folks to tell me a Cub is a good choice. :D

Seriously, I would like the Cub to be a good choice but if it truly isn't I'd like to be told that it isn't. I have nothing against other tractors, I just like the idea of owning a Cub but only if it will meet my needs.

Carm, oddly enough the ditch had a flat bottom that looks wide enough for a Cub to sit level. I'll have to look at the ditch again Saturday morning to double check. I'm going to take the fence down along the ditch since we don't need it and that will provide better access from the lower side of the ditch.

Rudi, thanks for the information. If a Cub can take care of the snow you get I'd guess it would take care of what I get too. I couldn't get the pictures to come up this morning but I'll try again a little later. I want to see your wagon. I took a welding class last Fall and I would think a wagon would be a good project for me. It would also be one of the handiest items I could use.

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by pgmrdan on Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:43 am

PG, a cub will handle most of your chores, it was designed to farm up to 40 acres. Just remember to consider its size (1400 pounds and 9 horsepower) and be patient. It takes longer to do a job wiht a cub than with a 100 horsepower Case. :D The main short coming of a cub is if you want a loader. They made them for cubs, but the front end isn't sturdy enough tp handle much of a load.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:07 am

John, I've never used a tractor so even at 9hp I expect to see a tremendous advantage over the way I've been doing things. :D

All,

One of the things that put me off about the Ford 8N is babbitt bearings. I was told the Ford N's have them. Does a Cub have them?

Do you find it to be much of a problem with the Cub that it doesn't use cylinder sleeves?

Thanks,
Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:52 pm

A cub has normal replaceable bearings.

On a cub if the cylinder becomes worn you bore it and install oversize pistons, just like in a car. They last a very long time. My 48 currently has .030 oversize pistons (can go up to .060) I rebuilt it 17+ years ago, and it could use rings, but is not bad enough to worry about yet. It mows 2 acres, grades and pushes snow on 1 mile of road, and disks and plows garderns. At present I use about 1/2 quart of oil per summer. My 49 was just bored .020 oversize this summer. I figure it will out last me.

Also remeber the 9 horsepower cub will do a lot more work than an 18 horsepower lawn tractor, plus it will last many years longer.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:47 am

Where would you go to have cylinders rebored on a tractor engine, automotive machine shop? Can a regular auto parts place set you up with the oversized pistons?

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:55 am

Gee Rudi! I finally got a chance to look at all of your pictures. Looking at the logging wagon, I had no idea a little Cub could pull so much weight!

That takes care of the response one person had when I mentioned using a Cub to haul firewood out of the woods. He said a Cub is a toy and can't do work like that. I had my doubts about what he said. You've certainly convinced me the Cub is no toy!

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:57 pm

I have had a cub with a blade and Woods 42C mower for the last 13 years. I have 11 ac. place and a 400' driveway.

I finish mow about 5 ac and rough cut about 4 ac more it's fairly hilly with a stream thru the middle and almost 3/4 of a mile fence row.

I plow the drive in the winter and do a little grading in the summer. The cub has worked fine; but, like others have said, you have to take it easy.

However; if I had to do it over, I would have gotten a farmall A or Super A with a Woods 42 rotary mower. The Farmall A is the big brother of the Cub and is rated at 21 HP. It's a little bigger tractor; but, just as manuverable as a Cub.

A's are a little harder to find; but for a lager place, really a better deal for overall chores.

My $0.02 worth - hope this helps.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:01 pm

Pg, to get a tractor rebored any automotive machine shop can do it, but I would reccomend finding an old timer in a rural area if you can. There are several sources of parts for the engine job, but I would suggest checking on the prices from the machine shop. Where I got mine done last year he actually gave me better prices on the parts than I could find anywhere else, and if there should be a problem there is only one person to talk to.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:09 pm

Dan:

Gee Rudi! I finally got a chance to look at all of your pictures.

I think the server was down which is why you couldn't access the files. Server is fixed - glad you were able to have a boo. :D

Looking at the logging wagon, I had no idea a little Cub could pull so much weight!

Yup, she can haul it and a whole lot more. You just have to take care, take your time and and work smart.

That takes care of the response one person had when I mentioned using a Cub to haul firewood out of the woods. He said a Cub is a toy and can't do work like that.

Well he obviously has never had a Cub. :roll: My wife's uncle has a 52 Cub, and he is always telling me that the Cub is not strong enough for all the jobs I have around the yard. He mouth always hits the floor anytime I try something he doesn't think it can do. Kind of enjoyable that!

He is beginning to understand just what his Cub can do. Bout time, he has only had his Cub 20 years or so :roll: The Cub is a wonderful tractor, big enough for my needs for many years to come I am athinkin.

I had my doubts about what he said. You've certainly convinced me the Cub is no toy!

A Cub is certainly no toy, and it will serve you well for many years. Hope you find a nice one with lots of implements :!: :D
Last edited by Rudi on Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:19 pm

I am inclined to go along with Oscar Meier's comments. A Super A will run about the same money and is a lot more capable. The Cub was designed for 40 acre farms but the 40 acres was also expected to be a full time job.

Don't dismiss a Cub as inadequate, but keep watch for a good Super A while you are tractor hunting.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:00 am

Sounds like a Cub will do what I need but since the prices probably won't be that different I'll keep my eyes open for an A or Super A at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Dan

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”